The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), a global nonprofit organization working to improve health and health care, is looking for a Product Developer. Located in Boston MA, this new position will bring the discipline and knowledge of product development to an organization that is saving lives and improving the care experience and equity of care. IHI offers an array of programs and products that individuals in health and health care can enroll in for professional development and learning purposes. These programs are delivered in-person and virtually. IHI continually offers new programs and also improves and repeats many of its flagship programs.
The Product Developer is a dynamic role that drives all aspects of the Product Development process, including market/competitor research, design, development, launch, delivery, and learning. S/he liaises with all internal departments, as well as customers and suppliers to help identify product needs, opportunities and solutions. This role will also be expected to apply his/her expertise in improving IHI's market-informed product development processes.
The ideal candidate is an energetic driver and strategic thinker, who can lead the design and development of products that enhance customer satisfaction and support sustainable business growth. They should also be resourceful and execution-driven. Strong cross-functional/business collaboration skills are required as they will work across multiple teams within the bank. Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and verbal communication skills are a must. Also important is the ability to synthesize large amounts of information into crisp recommendations, present and defend recommendations to a variety of audiences, and manage multiple projects simultaneously and drive them to completion effectively.
The Product Developer is responsible for developing new products or improving existing products so that the company can meet customers' needs more effectively.
- Market research: Define target audience and customer problems and understand competitive space
- Program Specifications: Form and coordinate a cross-functional program team to use the research findings to identify program specifications, constraints, and/or possible features and outline the product vision and potential value proposition
- Design: Drive the detailed design work collaboratively with the cross-functional team, testing and evolving the concept with customer input and ensuring that the program design and content align with the market insights. Adopt effective adult learning principles where relevant. Create a business model and pricing, as well as target revenue and budget. Together with marketing, use customer insights to inform the positioning and messaging to target customers and articulate a clear value proposition. Development: Drive the process for fleshing out the program curriculum with content developers and faculty and partner with meeting planners to ensure logistics are established, making sure it meets its marketing, technical, and financial objectives. Ensure effective project documentation and reporting for accreditation.
- Solution/Product lifecycle management: Provides ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the program to ensure objectives are met; Drive the process for collecting participant feedback and using the insights to improve the program and determine how to evolve it. Define upgrade paths or sun-setting criteria and maintain program/product roadmap.
- Launch in Market: Plan the launch of new programs and products and manage the cross-functional implementation of the plan. Define go-to-market and pricing strategy; partner with Marketing as they execute against plan.
Throughout the program design process, which the Product Developer can continuously shape and improve, he/she will:
- Create project plans and lead cross-functional teams create new capabilities and workflows.
- Develop and manage timelines, lead project planning, and coordinate deliverables
- Ensure project deliverables are met by project team and are consistent with IHI's quality standards
- Participate in long and short-term program development and planning
Successful candidates will be able to help prioritize demands for their skills while also sharing their techniques, so others can help to support the work.
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in and ability to drive product/program development processes with market input and cross-functional participation
- Ability to grasp and translate customer insights into offerings with clear value and benefits
- Ability to understand what will drive customer engagement with the product
- Knowledge of vehicles for customer insight, such as interviews, surveys, focus groups, and customer observation
- Ability to conduct market research, data analysis, product validation, and product testing, or to partner with and guide external consultants who conduct the market research
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Extremely strong writing skills and proofreading abilities
- Proficiency with office systems and computers, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Highly energetic, motivated, and resourceful
- "Out-of-the-box" innovative approach
- Highly creative, full of ideas and possibilities
- Strong strategic thinker
- Decisive and a self-starter
- Innate instincts for the market and customer needs
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Ability to persevere despite ambiguity
- Attention to detail and an eye for quality
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a good motivator of self and others
- Willingness to pitch in when necessary at all task levels
- 7+ years of product marketing, product development, and/or product management experience preferably in health care or related industry
- Bachelor's in business or marketing; master's degree preferred
- Skilled and experienced manager, strong leader of direct and matrixed teams
- Very strong written communication skills
- Willing to travel up to 25%
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues and cross-functional teams, and third parties
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.