1525 Newton Street, NW
District of Columbia
Thrive DC works to prevent and end homelessness by providing vulnerable individuals with a comprehensive range of services to help stabilize their lives. We envision a city in which vulnerable individuals receive the necessary support and resources to lead a fulfilling and stable life free of homelessness. Thrive DC relies heavily on volunteers, in-kind donations, community partnerships, and financial contributions to achieve its mission and help clients end their homelessness and positively change their lives.
Job Title: Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator
Reports to: Development Director
Hours: 40 hours/week; Monday-Friday
The Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment, scheduling, retention, and relationship building with the more than 1,000 individual volunteers and volunteer groups who work in all facets of Thrive DC. The Coordinator will also coordinate, receive, and catalogue all incoming in-kind donations.
· Bachelor’s degree
· 1-2 years of experience working in a community-based nonprofit
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to collaborate and work effectively with a diverse group of volunteers, clients and staff
· Excellent problem solving skills
· Outstanding organizational and time management ability.
· Must be proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
· Must possess strong work ethic, enthusiasm, sense of humor, creativity, flexibility, and patience.
· Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
· Previous experience with underserved and/or homeless population;
· One or more years of supervisory experience as well as previous experience managing, scheduling, and training volunteers in a nonprofit setting.
· Experience with CRM databases, specifically Salesforce.
· Maintain a robust volunteer program with over 1,000 volunteers annually working in all facets of Thrive DC.
· Hold regular orientation sessions for new volunteers.
· Oversee background checks of new volunteers.
· Provide meaningful and timely recognition of volunteers; implement an evaluation system of current volunteer activities and processes.
· Maintain full volunteer capacity for all programs and provide weekly calendar updates to staff.
· Maintain and coordinate a donation program which receives over $150,000 in in-kind, nonfood donations a year.
· Plan and implement seasonal collection and distribution of donations (i.e. winter outerwear)
· Act as point of contact for donation drives, providing clarification on what Thrive DC will accept and how to deliver donations to Thrive DC.
· Ensure accurate data entry of volunteer service & in-kind donations, and generate regular reporting.
· Assist the Development Director and other staff with cultivation of donors.
· Supervise Volunteer Interns as necessary.
· Take initiative and work independently with little supervision.
· Deal with conflict and challenge pleasantly and professionally in a manner that produces positive results for all constituents.
· Provide coverage during Thrive DC’s social service programs as needed; may include occasional physical labor including lifting, carrying, cleaning, etc.
· Serve as an advocate for Thrive DC’s clients in the greater community.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Some evening and weekend work may be required for special events and activities.
Thrive DC offers a competitive compensation package including health and dental insurance, paid holidays, vacation/personal days, and a dynamic, energetic team of staff and volunteers.
Minimum Education Required