Director of Development & Communications Job Description
Los Angeles, CA
Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. Our mission is to empower the community of Boyle Heights through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Proyecto has grown into a highly effective community-based organization that focuses on building reciprocal relationships with residents so they are empowered to create change in their own lives and in the life of the community.
Our community building programs include the Guadalupe Homeless Project, an emergency shelter for men and a separate shelter for senior aged women; IMPACTO, a youth development program for K-12 youth; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 5 years old for kindergarten, and Comunidad en Movimiento, a civic engagement and leadership development program. Proyecto Pastoral also serves as the backbone organization for Promesa Boyle Heights, a cradle to career collaborative that is changing outcomes for neighborhood youth. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 6,000 children, youth, families and individuals annually.
Position Summary: Proyecto seeks a passionate, committed and resourceful leader for the position of Development & Communications Director. The Director is an executive level position and a member of the management team, providing leadership and integrating fund development with the strategic growth and development of Proyecto. She/he has primary responsibility for managing the growth and development of foundation, corporate, individual giving; and the development of new strategies to support revenue generation, particularly unrestricted funds. She/he will report to the CEO and is responsible to spearheading fund development efforts for an annual operational budget of $5,000,000. Proyecto Pastoral is beginning a strategic planning process and anticipates up to 30% growth over the next 3-5 years.
Leadership and Management
- Develop annual development goals, budgets, and plans in collaboration with the executive team, development officer, board members and program directors.
- Lead the development team and manage the annual development plan, including tracking and communication systems to reach or exceed fundraising goals.
- Provide vision for short and long-term fundraising strategies.
- Work with the Board of Directors and CEO by creating tools and processes to help board members fulfill fundraising goals and in broadening Proyecto's network of support.
- Lead and coordinate the Friends of Proyecto advisory group, and other fundraising volunteers.
- Maintain regular communication with key external audiences, promote special activities and achievements using all forms of media; and attending networking events.
- Lead in planning and coordinating fundraising events and campaigns such as annual galas, board parties, and women of impact.
Oversee and Implement Private/Public Sector Fundraising Operations
- Lead the planning and execution of annual (and strategic) fundraising plan, targeting individuals, foundations, corporations and government grants, and coordinating the support and involvement of staff, advisory board, and board members in fundraising activities.
- Provide oversight of grant writing & reporting, and coordinate direct mail appeals, newsletters, holiday drives and all other fundraising activities, while ensuring consistent standards.
- Assist in design and implementation of organization wide strategies for growth
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with funders, donors, and media
- Lead the communications effort for the organization: responsible for overseeing media and public relations, website, social media, reports, e-newsletters and newsletters
- Manage development department operations, including gift accounting, and acknowledgement, management of donor records, donor stewardship and reconciliation with finance department.
- Expand donors through research, networking opportunities, relationship building and outreach.
- Work with the CEO, board and staff in developing and executing a major gift strategy
- Regularly evaluate the effectiveness of fundraising strategies and identify major gift prospects, with the goal of increasing the number and size of gifts and diversifying the donor base
General Proyecto Pastoral Employee Organizational Responsibilities
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for Proyecto Pastoral and a strong commitment to its mission, including its community building vision and founding Jesuit values
- Be an active team member supporting other staff members
- Participate in Proyecto Pastoral events and activities
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated success leading a development team to execute fundraising plans, especially individual donor and major gift campaigns
- Experience establishing and managing development systems and communication tools that support fundraising activities; including donor research, contact, solicitation and follow-up
- Enthusiastic team builder with strong leadership skills including: relationship building, strategic planning, verbal and written communication, organizational and time management abilities
- Ability to coach, train, and support diverse staff in grantseeking and other fundraising activities.
- Resilient, self-starter with a good sense of humor, and flexible team player with a strong work ethic, who is able to work flexible hours when needed including some evenings and weekends.
- Highly skilled and comfortable interfacing with funders (corporate, public and private foundations) in the greater LA area, and exploring and building opportunities for new partnership
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Minimum of 3 years, of senior-level experience that demonstrates a sophisticated and deep knowledge of development and marketing techniques and best practices; prefer experience fundraising in similar community based and social justice organizations.
- Have a broad knowledge of non-profit organizational operations and program development and the ability to provide strategic input as part of the agency leadership.
- Undergrad degree required; continued education in fundraising and philanthropic subjects.
- Adept at working in a complex organizational environment. A track record of success working collaboratively with diverse staff, community residents, public officials & agency partners to leverage resources.
- Knowledge of Microsoft suite of programs as well as Donor Perfect or similar donor management system to facilitate individual donor cultivation
- Spanish language a benefit to the applicant but not required.
Salary: Commensurate, depending on experience
Status: Full-time, Exempt with excellent benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and 401k plan.
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Consultants should not apply. We are interested in hiring a full-time staff member to join our team.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.