The Veterans Supportive Housing Specialist provides case management and housing assistance services to homeless veterans who qualify for Veterans Permanent Supportive Housing criteria and Veterans Rapid Re-Housing criteria in Montgomery County, MD. This position is responsible for the following:
- Working intensively in one-on-one case management relationships with 8-12 formerly homeless veteran clients.
- Implementation and oversight of landlord relationships, networking with landlords, and providing landlord mediation services;
- Provides assistance with finding and retaining housing, plus facilitates, housing-based education, and linkage to appropriate related community resources;
- Provides client assessment to determine appropriate financial support to access rental subsidy assistance to re-enter long-term housing. The Veterans Supportive Housing Specialist works with clients to develop, implement and monitor an individualized plan, ensuring clients’ ability to retain housing.
- Provide initial information and screening for potential Veterans Supportive Housing participants. Interview eligible homeless veterans and assess appropriate level of financial support (including security deposit, rent or utility arrears, and/or moving cost assistance). Interview individuals who are homeless veterans and assess eligibility for Veterans PSH and Veterans Rapid Re-Housing to access rental subsidy assistance.
- Review past housing history and identify possible barriers to obtaining and retaining housing. Assess tenancy problems such as late payments, damage or lease violations, income, and financial assistance needs.
- Work closely with case managers, outreach staff, and shelter staff in Montgomery County, MD to ensure program participants are able to rapidly exit homelessness.
- Prepare and maintain case management records, documentation, and up-to-date files of clients; provide statistical information for reports.
- Once accepted as program participants, develop and implement an individualized housing plan with the household members. Provide information and referral to veterans regarding additional community resources to ensure successful implementation of the housing plan.
- Access and update HMIS client records, residential and community resource information and care coordination activity in various databases to comply with contractual billing requirements.
- Negotiate with landlords to educate property management on program and advocate to landlords to accept tenants.
- Knowledge of database entry and completing thorough casenote documentation within professional standards.
- The position will perform duties throughout Montgomery County, MD, primarily in locations of Bethesda, Rockville, and Silver Spring. Must have reliable transportation.
Health care benefits, 401K retirement, reimbursement for casework travel, parking.
Minimum Education Required