Criminal Defense Practice Interpreter/Translator (Spanish)
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
The Legal Aid Society's Criminal Practice has an opening for a full-time English↔Spanish Interpreter/Translator in the Brooklyn Office. The Interpreter/Translator is responsible for interpreting and translating for defense attorneys, social workers, paralegals, psychiatrists, and any other personnel engaged in the defense of a person represented by The Legal Aid Society.
* Provide simultaneous and consecutive interpretation services in legal subject matter
* Provide interpretation services for attorneys and other staff with Spanish-speaking clients in the office and in court
* Translate legal documents and other material
* Transcribe and translate 911 calls, video and audio recordings, wire taps, etc.
* Coordinate the provision of foreign language services for other office staff
* Accompany attorneys, social workers, paralegals, or other staff members in need of interpreting services to correctional facilities, to interview clients or witnesses, etc.
* Work in other borough offices when needed
* Other duties as assigned
* Master's Degree in the field of languages, preferably in linguistics, translation, Spanish or English
* Experience interpreting in New York State or New Jersey Court a plus
* Excellent organizational and computer skills, including MS Office
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work as part of a team
* Ability to work independently
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required