Full Time Contract
Details: Salary commensurate with experience
Project Biodiversity (Projeto Biodiversidade) is a local Cabo Verdean non-profit association working to preserve and restore the island’s natural habitats through a wide range of environmental programmes.
Based on the island of Sal, Project Biodiversity implements community-based initiatives that promote conservation and scientific understanding of the island’s natural resources while increasing economic opportunities for the growing local community. At the heart of our work is the belief that people and nature are inextricably linked, and that engaging communities in the protection of their natural resources is the best way to ensure a future for our planet.
Project Biodiversity is seeking a candidate with 3-4 years of experience to manage our volunteer programme within the Marine Turtle Protection programme. The ideal candidate will have a background in coordinating volunteer experiences in a field-based, multicultural setting, with the capacity and motivation to recruit new volunteers / partners and engage current volunteers across PB’s programming and sites.
The right candidate will also assist the leadership team in continuing to formalize Project Biodiversity’s volunteer processes, and have the opportunity to assist in the development and expansion of new components of the volunteer programme.
- Recruit, onboard and place volunteers with organization/staff, and maintain volunteer roster over the course of the season.
- Screen applications and accompany applicants throughout the application process, taking initiative to identify the needs of both the volunteer and the project to assess fit.
- Work closely with the Leadership and Programme teams to design and implement the overall volunteer experience with the project.
- Work collaboratively with Programme and Leadership teams to identify volunteer needs and define volunteer roles throughout the season.
- Establish and cultivate positive rapport among volunteers and project staff.
- Assist Leadership team in identifying needs/opportunities for improvement across the volunteer programme.
- Assist Leadership team in enhancing the volunteer communication and engagement process to ensure volunteers are properly engaged before, during and after their service.
- Identify and help solve for gaps in partnerships (geographically and/or programmatically) and begin to identify partnership opportunities that will help expand and strengthen the volunteer programme.
- Assist the Leadership team in the ongoing development of new volunteer programmes.
- Manage volunteer database and update information on volunteers.
- Manage the apartment accommodation for the volunteers. This includes looking for a suitable place, ensuring proper maintenance and upkeep and promoting sustainable use of the necessary resources.
Within the first 30 days of employment, the selected candidate will be expected to:
- Become familiar with Project Biodiversity programs and staff that utilize volunteers, current volunteers and current volunteer processes
- Participate in and master all programs where volunteers participate.
- Ability and experience working effectively with a diverse range of individuals and multi-cultural groups
- Commitment to and belief in the mission, vision and values of Project Biodiversity
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Effective planning, organizational, and time management skills and keen attention to detail
- Ability to make decisions and follow through with minimal supervision
- Willingness to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to go above and beyond in time and effort to ensure volunteer needs are met
- Basic research skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Word, Excel
- 3-4 years previous work experience
- 1-2 years supervisory experience preferred
- Proficiency in English and at least one other language (Portuguese/Spanish preferred)
Additional skills preferred:
- Previous experience in database management
- Previous experience in non-profit communications and fundraising or interest in building related skillset.
- Experience working in graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva or other software)
- Driver’s license preferred
This role is ideal of anyone looking to gain hands-on experience in a close-knit, international environment as well as accelerate their leadership experience in the field of volunteer management.
This is a full time contracted position that offers successful candidates the opportunity to renew their contract annually.
Dates of Employment: Initial contract June 12th - December 12th.
- Shared accommodation with other members of the team plus the cost of apartment expenses.
- Salary commensurate with experience. Contract renewal dependant on performance and organizational fit.
- Eligibility for local government health insurance benefits after 90 days of employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be proficient in English and one other language (Portuguese/Cape-Verdean Creole/Spanish preferred).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply:
Send a CV, a motivation letter and at least two recommendation letters to the official Project Biodiversity email email@example.com
The candidates will be reviewed and assessed as they apply. The job posting will be open until a suitable candidate is selected.