Position: Residential Treatment Counselor
Introductory Period: 90 days
The Residential Treatment Counselor assists the Facility Manager with the daily oversight of operations of the Los Angeles Youth Network Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Program (STRTP). This role is responsible for providing clinical interventions to youth and families in residential and community settings. The Residential Treatment Counselor partners and collaborates on a team of mental health professionals with the overarching goal of meeting the permanency goals of the youth and families served in the Residential Program. The Residential Treatment Counselor will ensure that all individual treatment plan needs are being met and all services are provided in accordance with the Los Angeles Youth Network mission statement, Value Statement, Code of Conduct and LAYN Policies and Procedures.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Provide quality treatment and care to all residents and comply with licensing regulations, and ensure that we follow all policies and procedures in order to meet agency and national accreditation standards.
· Monitor residents’ general health and safety; knows where each resident is and with whom at all times.
· Teach residents socially acceptable habits of behavior and appearance and how to behave in public.
· Work collaboratively with resident to address their full range of needs and maintain professional boundaries.
· Based on training, implement appropriate consequences and set limits for behavior and help each resident practice self-control.
· Participates in the implementation of treatment plans, crisis intervention plans, and safety plans as created by Clinical Team
· Provide support for resident to accomplish the goals identified in their treatment plan, safety Plan or Individual Service Plan.
· Maintain a daily log which monitors each resident’s behavior and feelings as they are related to current situations in daily living as well as school information, medical visits, and incident reports.
· Implement emergency procedures in the event of crisis situations – both behavioral and environmental.
· Keeps record and receipts for expenditure and operates home within daily budget.
· Follows daily schedules for residents. Is responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of the structured program and ensures that program routines are implemented.
· Coordinates and supervises educational and recreational programs.
· Attend regular staff meetings and trainings as required.
· Participate in appropriate transition meetings on a daily basis.
· Support and promote positive teamwork with fellow staff employed with LAYN programs, and to maintain professional relationships with other providers.
· Provide awake supervision in the group home if you are working the overnight shift.
· Administer and handle all medications according to current state regulations.
· Responsible for daily management activities to keep in ordinance with Community Care Licensing requirements: meal planning and preparation, keeping the house, yard and van clean and orderly, supervising chores that are the responsibility of the resident, and transportation of the resident.
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor's Degree in a related field or 3+ years of experience working with at-risk youth or adolescent children in a residential setting
· Ability to de-escalate youth in crisis situations on a consistent basis and work independently in high stress environments
· Demonstrated skills working with youth in individual and group settings
· Ability to thoroughly document, and in a timely manner, into Electronic Health Records for program-required documents
· Must be a confident and responsible role model with excellent judgment
· Must display a proven dedication to youth through leadership and/or mentoring experience
- Experience working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work independently
- Satisfactorily fulfill the requirements for employment at the Los Angeles Youth Network, i.e. references, physical examination, criminal records clearance, etc.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Los Angeles Youth Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance; Voluntary Benefits, and a 403B Retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required