Details: Commensurate with experience
Science is Elementary is seeking energetic, engaging science educators. Our ideal educator has an undergraduate degree or higher in a STEM field or in education, with complementary experience in either STEM or elementary pedagogy.
Science is Elementary (SiE) is a nonprofit based in Mountain View whose vision is that all children realize science is awesome and use its principles to better their lives. We teach students, train classroom teachers, and engage the broader scientific community. Our curriculum promotes deep understanding of basic science concepts, teaches critical thinking skills, and encourages creativity and teamwork in open ended problem solving. Students show gains of 55%-80% in conceptual learning and increased positive attitudes to science.
We work with over 6000 students every month, in kindergarten through fifth grade, aided by 500 volunteers. To learn more about our program, review this presentation. You can also visit our website and Facebook page.
Job Type: The job is contracted and is a part-time position
Locations: Oakland, Hayward, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, Milpitas, Santa Clara
- Learn and deliver a variety of science lesson plans in your grade(s) focusing on physics and engineering
- Manage a classroom of around 25 students so that students are learning to their highest potential
- Lead class-wide discussions on given scientific topics multiple times during a lesson
- Train volunteers on how to lead small group experiments and discussions before each session
- Supervise volunteers and help them facilitate their small group experiments, as needed
- Run a small group experiments, as needed
- Set up stations before the lesson starts, and clean up at the end, with the help of volunteers
- Be flexible and friendly with classroom teachers, students, volunteers and staff members
- Transport classroom materials to and from the school sites
- Clean up and organize materials after each session so that they are ready to use for the next session. Return materials in a clean and orderly way.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and coaching meetings
- Arrive to the school site 30 minutes prior to the start of every lesson
- Collaborate regularly with SiE staff and classroom teachers in an appropriate manner
- Create a safe, positive, and enjoyable environment for learning in the classroom
- College degree required (STEM major preferred)
- Proven success leading a classroom at the elementary level
- Possess positive and effective classroom management skills
- Strong oral communication skills
- Be willing to work varied hours, at multiple school sites, based on program schedule
- Must be punctual, arriving at least 30 minutes prior to the start of each session
- Valid CA Drivers License
- Be able to lift 20 lb
Minimum Education Required