Details: Salary Rage: Entry Level 56,525.83 to $83,595.11 (12 + years)
6177 River Crest Drive, Suite B
WHO WE ARE:
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 200 staff members covering 7 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
This position will be based out of the Inland Region
The Labor Representative represents the members of a large Union, characterized by diverse employee bargaining units and complex employee relations issues, in conduct of formal and informal contacts with employees, employee organizations and employee relations administrators.
Represents members in disciplinary and investigative contacts with their employer, advises members on the interpretation and application of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or collective bargaining agreement and the processing of grievances and discipline guidelines. Candidate ensures compliance with employee relations policies, labor laws and agreements between the Union and the employer. Candidates within this class must be computer literate on Microsoft Word and other computer programs; have strong written and verbal communication skills; strong investigatory and research skills; have the ability to relate to wide variety of people in stressful situations, have the ability to understand employer operations, contractual language and policies; and have the ability to think clearly.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Provides advice and training to staff on representational matters as needed or assigned (including development of training instruments).
- Attends internal and external administrative conferences as they pertain to AC staff and employee issues.
- Interprets and enforces MOU and any and all other regulatory and governing policies, laws and ordnances and practices that apply in order to represent Union members.
- Interprets collective bargaining agreement, ordinances, laws to members, stewards and other workers.
- Analyze employee relations problems and recommend solutions to workers, stewards, activists and Union and management officials.
- Effectively advance the union’s position in community groups, political groups, labor councils and with State and Federal, as well as Local, legislative bodies.
- Conducts a positive information program to encourage communications from members.
- Mentoring and training stewards on an ongoing basis.
- Maintains regular communication with member/clients.
- Maintains regular communication and reports to the Department Leadership.
- Develops information articles as assigned.
- Maintains a calendar that accurate.
- Maintains regular reports of all case activity.
- Confer informally with workers and management relative to work rules, regulations and conditions, employee relations policies and programs, contract provisions and related matters.
- Maintains accurate records, including mileage reports, calendars and time allocation reports.
- May participate in Union-wide contract negotiations.
Prior labor experience is preferred, but not required.
You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
The Labor Representative is a UUP bargaining unit position (UUP) subject to a staff union contract
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department
SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Ste.100
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 401-1787