3501 Brehms Lane
Civic Works is immediately hiring a Placement Specialist to support Baltimore residents from historically marginalized communities in securing family-sustaining green careers. The Placement Specialist expands the range and quality of opportunities available to graduates by cultivating relationships with employer placement partners. The Specialist also supports participants in developing resumes, successfully competing for job opportunities, comparing available positions, and selecting the position that is the best match for long term career advancement.
The Center for Sustainable Careers (CSC), a program of the non-profit Civic Works, expands access to family-sustaining careers for Baltimore residents from historically marginalized communities. We support Baltimore residents in building the skills needed to secure quality employment, and employers around investing in their workers and advancing equity across their practices. The program is pioneering a three-part model of classroom and hands-on training, on-the-job learning and socially responsible business development for building a more inclusive and equitable economy. CSC provides each participants with the comprehensive case management services, hard skills, and job readiness instruction to succeed in family-supporting careers. It has four sector-based career tracks: brownfields remediation, residential energy efficiency, solar energy installation, and stormwater management. CSC also expands employment access and improves job quality among employers by promoting the adoption of inclusive hiring policies, family-supporting wages, and career ladder strategies.
Since 2003, more than 600 people have graduated from CSC. The program maintains an average job placement rate of 90% and starting wages begin at $15.25 per hour. Civic Works' green initiatives have been highlighted by Green for All, The Baltimore Sun, The Washington Post, and the US Conference of Mayors. Join us in creating a more just and equitable clean energy economy. For more information on the Center for Sustainable Careers, please visit http://baltimoregreencareers.civicworks.com.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for job placement and retention across the different green career sectors.
- Track placement metrics on a regular basis, and meet overall placement goals.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with employers that offer family-sustaining careers and have hiring needs that match the skills and experience of Civic Works graduates.
- Regularly prospect, cold call, and meet face-to-face with industry employers.
- Coordinate career fairs, managing the event logistics and recruiting employers to attend.
- Match program participants with employment opportunities, taking into consideration each participant’s skills, work experience, interests, goals and aspirations.
- Customize participants’ resumes to fit identified opportunities.
- Support participants around applying for jobs, interviewing, navigating the hiring process, and securing employment, retaining their position, and advancing in their career.
- Help employers strengthen their feedback loop with graduates, ensuring that employer expectations are clearly communicated to graduates and employers strengthen their practices through graduate feedback.
- Provide placement services to program graduates.
- Advocates for program participants, as appropriate, in their relationship with employer partners, and mediates any conflicts that arise.
- Support employer partners around investing in program graduates and advancing equity across their practices.
- Document all participant and employer interactions and outcomes in the Salesforce database.
- A deep understanding of the multiple forms of systemic and racialized inequity that prevent people from accessing and retaining employment.
- Experience working in and creating diverse, equitable, and inclusive environments.
- Experience in workforce development, recruitment, or sales/account management, a role that is structured around regularly meeting performance goals.
- Strong computer and note-taking skills required. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and cloud-based databases required.
- Graduation from Civic Works’ Baltimore Center for Green Careers a plus.
- Adept at networking and cultivating lasting relationships with employers, helping them understand how Civic Works can help them achieve their business goals.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Exceptional personal responsibility for meeting goals and a track record of success.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, interpersonal relations skills, and writing skills.
- Resilient in the face of challenges; able to recognize problems, develop innovative solutions and implement them.
- Able to take into account various perspectives, and bridge gaps between employers and graduates.
- Ability to adhere to a strict guideline of keeping and maintaining confidential information.
- Reliable personal transportation for use meeting employers offsite.
- Able to build deep supporting relationships with program participants from historically marginalized communities.
- Committed to advancing racial equity across systems in Baltimore.
The salary level for this position is competitive. In addition, healthcare, paid leave and retirement benefits are included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Eli Allen, Director of the Baltimore Center for Green Careers, at CSCEmployment@civicworks.com and include "Placement Specialist" in the subject line. Applicants will be hired on a rolling basis.