150 West 85th Street
About Manhattan Country School
Manhattan Country School is a pre K-8th grade coed school with a founding commitment to equity, diversity and sustainability. As a NYC-based independent school, MCS is unique in having an exemplary social and environmental justice curriculum, a 180-acre working farm in the Catskill Mountains where students learn to live sustainably and interdependently through experience, and an equitable tuition policy which enables families to pay tuition based on their means and which underwrites the broad socioeconomic diversity of our school community.
Manhattan Country School, a progressive pre K-8th grade coed school located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, is seeking a full-time permanent Communications Coordinator starting August 2018.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Advancement and plays a critical role on a 5-person Advancement team in telling the MCS story to internal and external audiences through digital and print media. The successful candidate will bring a strategic, creative and comprehensive approach to MCS’ communications and marketing efforts, will regularly engage with faculty and other senior MCS staff (in New York City and at the MCS Farm) and will attend school/community events to document and effectively communicate about the school’s unique program and mission.
· Create/draft original content and proofread, edit and fact-check text for digital and print media including:
· Email/news announcements
· Social media and blog posts
· Short and long-form articles
· Attend/document school events throughout the year via photography and videography, including special events that take place in the evenings and occasionally on weekends
· Curate, tag and archive photos and video
· Manage the school’s website and social media platforms including updating/drafting text, gathering content for posts, tracking analytics, etc.
· Provide graphic design for social media, website and small printed collateral
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
· Minimum 6 years of professional experience in communications and marketing, journalism or related field
· Bachelor’s degree
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
· Excellent verbal and written and interpersonal skills, knowledge of AP style
· Graphic design skills (proficiency in Photoshop, InDesign)
· Knowledge of website content management systems and SEO
· Experience with social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
· Experience at a school or nonprofit
· Experience working in a diverse community and/or with writing for diverse audiences
· Knowledge/understanding of progressive education pedagogy
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants must submit resume, detailed cover letter, contact information for three references, and two writing samples to Ellen Porter at: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.