40 West 20th Street
NRDC’s Analytics Team researches and determines how to better mobilize and inspire our activists, donors, supporters and audiences to take action for a clean and healthy environment and then translates those findings into actionable strategies for our colleagues who manage our campaigns and outreach efforts. The Analytics Team seeks a Political and Regional Analyst to carry out our analytics efforts in support of our organization’s political, campaigns and regional work. This Analyst will also support the work of our sister organization, the NRDC Action Fund, in elections-related efforts. It will also be engaged in day-to-day management of the tools that support this work, including the Voter Activation Network (VAN), as well as a set of pilot projects that are designed to help the organization reach and mobilize new audiences through regionally-focused and issue-focused organizing. This Analyst will work closely with two other Analysts and a Content Marketing Director, and it will report to the Director of Analytics.
This is currently a term-limited position of 1 year.
- Formulating and fleshing out ideas for testing and experimentation, guiding colleagues on other teams through the testing process, and providing final analysis and recommendations. Much of this experimentation will be carried out through the pilot projects.
- Advising NRDC legislative and regionally focused staff, including campaigns, government affairs and digital staff, in identifying activated supporters and building out data-driven methods of engagement to build our base and support for the environment in key geographies.
- In concert with the rest of the Analytics Team, determine what models are needed across channels, and contribute to the building and maintenance of these models.
- Collaborate with Analytics Team colleagues to recommend and test cross-channel strategies.
- Manage the organizations’ use of political and electoral data, including identifying and managing key external datasets.
- Manage and build dashboards, reports and other tools that allow the organization to identify its best opportunities and devise strategies that will help them meet key goals and KPIs. This includes all of the key reporting for the pilot projects.
- In conjunction with NRDC Action Fund staff, contribute to elections-related modeling and predictions, and integrate findings, results and scores from the Action Fund staff into dashboards, reports and other tools.
- In conjunction with the Analytics Director, advise colleagues on collaborating teams on the development of metrics and KPIs to guide their work.
- Conduct day-to-day/short term and long term analyses that help NRDC and NRDC Action Fund to make smart decisions and grow our engagement, base and support for our issues strategically over time.
- Serve as the Analytics Team’s point person to the Center for Public Advocacy, our new regionally focused teams and our pilot projects, as well as the NRDC Action Fund, providing insights and analysis as well as serving as the go-to person and thought partner for their analytics needs.
- Be the Analytics Team’s expert on our political data.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; preferred background or demonstrable skill in science, technology, engineering or mathematical fields, or in the social sciences with a quantitative focus
- 1-3 years of experience analyzing digital or electoral data, and/or experience with regionally focused organizing
- At least one cycle of electoral experience
- At least one year of R or Python coding experience (Python preferred) in an analytical environment; at least one year of SQL experience; 1-2 years of experience and knowledge of modeling and machine learning algorithms preferred
- Experience with Action Kit or other similar content management platform, Tableau or other data visualization software, social data, VAN, Catalist or Civis, and elections-related data
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistics preferred
- Ability to design valid experiments with minimal guidance
- Ability to think creatively about new tactics we might test, and to support and collaborate with colleagues in brainstorming and ideation
- Strong communication and presentation skills, and the ability to convey complex and technical information to non-technical audiences in a way that is not just comprehensible, but inspiring
- Good relationship management skills
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required