The role of the Executive Director (ED) is to lead the work of Jonesborough Locally Grown to fulfill its mission. The ED works closely with the Jonesborough Locally Grown Board of Directors (Board) and staff. Responsibilities include board leadership, financial and human resource management, program administration, and public relations. The position supervises a small team of employees and volunteers, while also working alongside the team at the markets and events. This can be an exciting opportunity for a dedicated professional who is passionate about local food and farms and who would enjoy working with a team and interacting with many different stakeholders in a community-oriented organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization's activities.
- Work with the Board to develop and follow a strategic plan that guides the organization.
- Communicate effectively with the Board, providing support and information to help the board function effectively and make informed decisions.
- Work with Staff and the Board to prepare and adhere to a comprehensive budget.
- Ensure that sound accounting, financial management and administrative procedures are followed.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legal requirements for reporting, taxation, and operations required by government agencies and funders.
- Lead the development of multiple revenue streams, including individual donations, public/private grants and special events to ensure that JLG has adequate funds to operate and to build and maintain an operating reserve.
- Research funding sources, create fundraising plans and write funding proposals.
- Maintain a positive, productive and safe work environment for all Staff and Volunteers that includes up-to-date and fair personnel policies and practices.
- Build and lead an effective team of Staff and Volunteers dedicated to fulfilling the organization’s mission, ensuring that they have adequate resources and support to fulfill their job duties.
- Facilitate regular and consistent communication between the organization and stakeholders, including an active website, newsletters, media releases, social media and member meetings and emails.
- Represent JLG in the community and actively participate in community events that build relationships and enhance the organization’s visibility and brand.
- Establish strategic partnerships for the benefit of each organization and to help achieve common goals.
- Ensure that the markets and programs advance the organization's mission and the priorities outlined in the strategic plan.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years of experience in a leadership role with direct supervision of employees.
- Knowledge and appreciation for the important role of hard-working farmers and producers with marketing and/or sales experience in local food, beverage or other consumer products preferred.
- Strong financial and administrative management skills.
- Desire to work closely with a team of Staff and Volunteers to advance the work of the organization.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and creatively adapt to changes in order to optimize operations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with various stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including spreadsheets and word processing.
- Willingness to learn and develop professionally.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings, along with overnight travel 1-2 time/year for industry conferences.
- Submit to and successfully pass a background check.
- Lifting or movement of items up to #25
- Indoor and outdoor work with fluctuating temperatures.
· Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings, along with overnight travel 1-2 time/year for industry conferences.
· Submit to and successfully pass a background check.
· Lifting or movement of items up to #25
· Indoor and outdoor work with fluctuating temperatures.
· Driver’s/Identification license and access to reliable transportation for organization business, such as farm visits, fundraising events, meetings, acquiring supplies, media appearances, etc.