Interim Development and Communications Assistant
- Job posted by Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
201 4th St.
Start Date: Immediately
End Date: January 18, 2019 (possibility of extension)
Hours: 24 – 32 hrs/week
Hourly Rate: $18 – 20/hr
About the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
For 25 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, community health, and people’s rights. Our community-based grantmaking approach has earned national recognition, and our advocacy and educational programs have helped save the Headwaters Forest, build the green investing movement, and train the next generation of environmental justice leaders.
About the Position
The Interim Development and Communications Assistant will play an essential role in supporting all fundraising and communications/marketing at the Rose Foundation. In addition to regular communications/marketing and fundraising activities, during the time of this position s/he will provide direct support for two major activities: 1) the Rose Foundation’s 25th Birthday Bash and Film Fest, our big annual event held in Oakland on October 11th, and 2) our end of year fundraising campaign. This position reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with all departments to ensure fundraising and communications tasks, deliverables, and deadlines are being met.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate cares deeply about environmental conservation and social justice. S/he has at least some experience and a very strong interest in nonprofit fundraising and/or communications. S/he is an organized multi-tasker who has excellent attention to detail and can manage time and priorities well. S/he has strong writing and communication skills, and understands the crucial role of fundraising, communications, and engaging storytelling in building/maintaining a broad base of support and ensuring a thriving organization.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
Coordinate and conduct communications activities:
- Produce the monthly e-newsletter: Solicit stories from Rose staff and external constituencies (e.g. grantees, program partners), organize and write content, and get pictures.
- Manage social media channels, including Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and Instagram accounts. Ensure that all channels have regular activity and relevant content, and that there is ongoing audience engagement.
- Update and maintain website.
- Regularly update key pages and sections, including the homepage, news & features, and donation page.
- Make needed updates promptly.
- As needed, assist other departments with specialized reports on targeted Rose activities, for example reports on restitution and cy pres funds.
Manage communications and support fundraising and logistics for the Film Fest:
- Regularly post engaging, theme/message-based content on all social media channels.
- Draft and send eblasts via Vertical Response, with visuals and content in line with campaign/event messaging.
- Manage Eventbrite event ticketing page, Rose’s event website landing page, homepage, and donation page. Regularly update and ensure they have relevant, engaging content.
- Assist with content generation for printed/mailed pieces; work with graphic designer on design and production.
- Coordinate any event-related mailings, including an event-specific piece to be sent in September.
- Provide lead-up and day-of event support.
Help ensure effective donor stewardship and support the End of Year Appeal Campaign:
- Maintain donor database, including donor data entry and contact updates.
- Create and send appropriate thank you letters and emailed auto receipts.
- Maintain hard copy and electronic files related donation appeals, events, and individual donors.
- Manage logistics of donor mailings, including End of Year appeal:
- Create mailing lists for donor outreach and stewardship.
- Coordinate both in-house and mail-house mailings. Merge and produce in-house letters/labels/envelopes.
- Update Rose website (e.g. homepage, donation page) and email auto-thank you with specific appeal messaging.
- Coordinate weekly messaging via email and social media.
- Monitor results of mailings/appeals and share with Rose staff.
Other development/communications support:
- Participate in development meetings, and other special meetings as needed.
- Participate in New Voices, Grassroots Fund, and other program meetings as needed to understand these programs, get pictures and stories, and communicate impact to target audiences.
- Be ready and willing to ‘jump in’ when and where needed to support development and communications across the organization.
- At least an AA (BA preferred) with some coursework in communications/marketing and/or fundraising.
- Prior work or volunteer experience in nonprofit communications/marketing and/or development.
- Sincere interest in and aptitude for data management.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Commitment to environmental conservation and social justice.
- Ability to maintain a sense of humor and perspective while multi-tasking, a collaborative problem-solving approach, and the flexibility to help where help is needed in a small office dynamic.
- Must be able to sit at a standard desk for periods of 4 hours or more, and lift up to 25 pounds. (Standing desk may be available.)
- Must be available to work during the day and evening at the Rose Foundation’s annual event on October 11, 2018 in Oakland.
- Specific experience in online communications/marketing, including social media and email marketing.
- Experience with digital graphic design.
- Specific experience in managing donor databases, preferably FileMaker Pro.
The Rose Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity; women, people of color, and LGBTQ are encouraged to apply.
Position Terms and Compensation
The Interim Development and Communications Assistant position is a temporary, non-exempt on-staff assignment beginning immediately and ending on January 18, 2019, with the possibility of extension. The hours will range from 24 – 32 hours per week. The pay range is $18 – $20 per hour depending on experience. The position includes required benefits pursuant to the minimum requirement stated in CA Labor Code such as worker’s compensation and paid sick leave. No health benefits or vacation accrual are provided.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume, cover letter, and one or more writing samples related to nonprofit fundraising/communications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Interim Development Assistant” in the subject line. No mailed applications, please. Position will remain open until filled.