Free Arts NYC Mission: Free Arts NYC empowers underserved youth through art and mentoring programs to develop their creativity, confidence, and skills to succeed.
About the Free Arts Day Program: Free Arts Days (FAD) are events sponsored by a corporation or individual in which 25 - 100 children ages 6-13 are paired one to one with adult volunteer mentors. Together with their buddies, children create two to four art projects, giving them the opportunity to explore a wide variety of art materials and connect with their buddies. All events include snacks and lunch/dinner.
Job Summary: Free Arts Day Program Facilitators support Free Arts Day Program Managers in leading program events. This includes assisting Program Managers with day-of logistics (un-packing art supplies, setting up and breaking down event spaces, greeting and directing volunteers, coordinating youth participants, collecting enrollment paperwork, etc); supporting and guiding positive engagement between volunteer mentors and kids throughout program events; and upholding Free Arts NYC’s philosophy.
Under the guidance of Free Arts Day Program Manager the Facilitator will:
- Supervise a team of 4-10 Volunteer Leaders at FAD events.
- Maintain a safe, supportive environment in accordance with Free Arts NYC’s policies and trainings.
- Remain alert to the needs of Volunteer Mentors; assist them when required, encouraging them to fully participate in all activities and engage with the youth.
- Remain alert to the needs of youth participants and assist them as required.
- Communicate openly with partner agency staff about any needs involving facility and program participants.
- 2 years experience facilitating programs for underserved youth – in school, community center and/or social service agency settings
- 2 years experience in event production, hospitality, or a related industry
- Experience teaching/co-teaching and implementing Positive Youth Development
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Strong sense of initiative and “hustle”
- Excellent communication and organizational skills (public speaking experience a plus)
- Ability to: lift bins up to 50 pounds, be on your feet for 4-6 hours, bend down to pick up objects, and move swiftly around gyms and classrooms throughout events
- Applicants must be 18 years & over to apply
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours per event. Must be able to commit to a minimum of 12 events per year.
Summer schedule: weekdays 9 am - 3 pm
School year schedule: weekday afternoons (2 - 6 pm) and Saturdays (9 am - 2 pm)
Please note: Must be available for both weekday afternoons and Saturdays during the school year.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates will interview and attend one event before final considerations are made.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Elisabeth Rudin at email@example.com with the subject line “Free Arts Day Facilitator(Idealist).”