Details: Salary dependent on experience
110 Lafayette Street
Lawyers For Children has a new opening for a staff attorney with at least two years experience litigating in New York City’s foster care system. The attorney will be a part of a dynamic team of attorneys and social workers advocating for children in New York City's Family Courts. The attorney will focus his or her attention on issues impacting youth in foster care who are coping with mental illness and/or developmental disabilities.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Lawyers For Children attorneys work alongside our social workers to advocate on behalf of children and youth in various judicial proceedings. Duties include client interviews, investigation, trial preparation/planning, general courtroom advocacy and oral advocacy as necessary for case conferences and case follow-up. LFC’s attorneys are leaders in the provision of legal services to children and young adults in child protective, foster care, custody, visitation, termination of parental rights guardianship, and related proceedings.
- Admitted to NYS Bar
- Demonstrated commitment to the rights of children and youth
- Familiarity with New York City's mental health services for children and youth
- Commitment to interdisciplinary practice of law using an attorney-social worker team model
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and in crisis situations
- Well-organized, motivated, creative and independent, yet also able to work in a team-oriented environment
- Commitment to providing culturally sensitive services
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, writing, and interviewing skills
For more information about Lawyers For Children visit: www.lawyersforchildren.org
Generous employee healthcare, vacation, pension and leave policy
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.