District of Columbia
The Manager leads Oceana’s organizational public relations efforts. This will include leading the development and implementation of PR and marketing plans to build Oceana’s brand in order to help the organization attract financial support (particularly from foundations and major donors) and to help its campaigns to win policy victories. In addition, the Manager will be the lead in building Oceana as a thought and brand leader on the importance and ability of Oceana (and its allies) so Save the Oceans and Feed the World. The Manager is responsible for implementing and instituting a world class level of writing for Oceana’s organizational materials (press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, CEO notes, tweets, emails etc.) and for leading organizational media outreach (both through traditional and digital channels). And, the Manager leads development of the annual report, brochure and other promotional publications on behalf of Oceana. The Manager works closely with the Communications Managers/Directors in Oceana’s regional offices. The Manager manages one Senior Communications Specialist and will be responsible for directly staffing speechwriting, PowerPoint/Keynote development and PR opportunities for Oceana’s CEO and for Oceana’s guests at special events.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead writing of marketing communications (press releases, op-eds, CEO notes) for organizational press and initiative and for CEO
- Support CEO on development of PowerPoint/Keynote for CEO presentations
- Act as primary speechwriter at Oceana Blue Carpet events
- Develop marketing communications plan to maintain and extend Oceana’s leadership on the issue of saving the ocean and feeding the world.
- Lead social media outreach (primarily via Twitter) for CEO
- Meet specific goals for press placements.
- Lead development of annual report and other organizational promotional pieces
- Ensure that the communications staff develops relationships with top international and national reporters
- Lead coordination and placement stories from countries as it relates to Oceana main branding and organizational goals
- Lead and look for opportunistic traditional and digital press
- Lead efforts to produce media reports for board of directors
- Negotiate and be lead for various free media vendors (e.g., Meltwater, PR Newswire, other vendors as needed, etc.)
- Provides assistance in accomplishing communications goals as needed or requested by vice president.
- Perform additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus three to five years of prior experience as a journalist, press secretary, public relations consultant or other position involving media/press relations.
- Proven speech and op-ed writer.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills
- Familiarity supporting high level executives, policymakers and individuals with writing
- Experience with international media a plus
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, other organizations and the public.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining humor and high energy.
- Familiarity with environmental and food security issues a plus but not required.
- Familiarity with online media (and processes) is also highly desirable.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of position to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
To Apply: Please attach a copy of your cover letter to your resume.
Minimum Education Required