It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
The WaterAid Southern Africa Regional Office is looking for a Programme Manager (initial 2 years contract) to play a vital role in WaterAid’s mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone by 2030.
With country programmes in Swaziland, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia, and a regional office based in Pretoria, we are about to launch programming in South Africa. We have recently secured funding from Kimberly-Clark for a school WASH project in Limpopo. We aim to grow the programme in South Africa up to £500 000, with the focus to demonstrate models of sustainable WASH programmes that can be replicated in other areas in South Africa; influence policies and do sector strengthening.
Reporting to the Regional Programme Manager, the purpose of the role is to:
- Take responsibility for overall strategic programme planning, development, co-ordination, management, and implementation of projects and the programme in South Africa.
- Grow the work in South Africa to a target of £500 000, building and demonstrating models of sustainable WASH services that can be replicated in other areas of South Africa
- Specifically manage the Limpopo School WASH project, working with the communities, partners, the donor and local authorities to ensure successful delivery of the project, which has a strong hygiene behaviour change basis.
The role will require frequent travel to Limpopo initially, and occasional travel in South Africa.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- An university degree in a relevant subject (integrated water resources management, water supply and sanitation studies, Social Sciences, environmental studies, Public Health, sanitary or civil engineering, development studies)
- Substantial experience in programme planning and development in NGOs, implementing projects through and working with partners. This relates to at least 7 years of relevant experience
- Experience in WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) work preferably in rural communities, and in South Africa, or Southern Africa.
- Experience in developing and managing projects including staff, partners, budgeting and budget management.
- Proven experience in developing and managing advocacy and policy influencing work.
- Experience of developing funding proposals and submission to donors and effective grant management
- Be a pro-active self-starter, with good organisational skills, exemplary relationship building and influencing skills and able to think strategically and translate development plans into action
Visit our global WaterAid website to see the full job description of the role: https://www.wateraid.org/jobs-and-volunteering
If you are eligible for and interested in the role , please send your CV by 23 November 2018, with a cover letter, via email to SouthAfricaAdmin@wateraid.org using “Programme Manager” as the subject. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package.
Please note: This role is only open for South African nationals or permanent residents.
WaterAid is an equal opportunity organization and positively encourages applications from qualified and eligible individuals regardless of race, physical condition, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity.
If you don’t receive a response two weeks after the closure of applications, please consider yourself unsuccessful.
Minimum Education Required