The Massachusetts Teachers Association (MTA) is a union, dedicated to improving the workplace and the quality of life for all education employees and to protecting their hard-won rights. Equally important, we are an association of highly qualified professionals, committed to establishing and maintaining optimal conditions for student learning from preschool through graduate school.
The MTA is seeking an Employee Relations Specialist (HRBP) who will partner with management and employees to identify and resolve employee issues in a manner consistent with MTA policies, procedures, applicable laws and union contracts.
The HRBP will also partner with the HR Division and/or operations to achieve outcomes while maintaining the ability to act as an impartial liaison between employees or employee organizations and the Management team.
The HRBP will provide comprehensive HR support in key areas: employee relations, employee engagement, recruitment, coaching, workforce planning, HR training and performance management, and diversity and inclusion. This position is conveniently located in Quincy, MA.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Partner with management and employees to identify and resolve employee issues in a manner consistent with MTA’s policies, procedures, as well as applicable laws and union contracts. Identify trends that will foster a positive and respectful work environment.
- Implements responsibilities as set forth in MTA’s Equal Employment and Affirmative Action policy
- With impartiality and while maintaining an appropriate level of confidentiality, investigate matters related to harassment, discrimination/employment discrimination, hostile work environment, retaliation, and workplace violence and provide reports concerning the progress and disposition of such investigations to the appropriate parties.
- Coordinate all staffing, recruitment, outreach and diversity initiatives & Affirmative Hiring compliance. Maintain recruitment metrics and provide corresponding reports. Identify recruitment trends and when necessary provide recommendations for improvements to recruitment strategy.
- Coordinates/facilitates/monitors internal career development counseling and support; monitors internal hiring practices and advancement opportunities and reports on same to appropriate parties
- Assist the HR Director with the development and implementation of HR policies, procedures as well as interpreting and communicating the policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with employees and management, facilitate and lead the interactive process and requests for accommodations under the American's with Disabilities Act.
- Facilitates training including New Hire Orientation, training for those involved in the hiring process. May develop and facilitate HR specific training and/or communications.
- Ensures managers are aware or updated compliance postings and educates managers on any regulatory changes related to employment
- Provides consultation and guidance to management and employees related to federal, state, and local employment laws, including FLSA, ADA, FMLA, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, etc.
- Assist HR Director with succession/workforce planning, compensation/benefits, organization/team development, and change management.
- Maintain knowledge of labor/union issues and best practices in order to promote positive labor relations.
- Monitor employee climate to identify issues/trends and develop recommendations for problem solving with business units as appropriate. Develop solutions to implement with the business units.
- Ensure compliance with established internal HR policies and procedures and regulatory requirements and conduct recruitment audits, as needed/required.
- Maintain knowledge of progressive HR practices, continued business acumen and key trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Union experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, organizational development, or a related degree required. Or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. PHR/SPHR preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience in Human Resources. Extensive experience in employee relations and delivery on a wide range of HR strategic initiatives. Experience with multi-site support.
- Broad knowledge of employment law, compensation and organizational development.
- Knowledge of HRIS systems, basic HR measurement, and process improvement techniques required. ADP Workforce Now experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create and maintain collaborative work relationships within the organization at various levels.
- Must possess excellent verbal, written and communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving and project management skills
- Car required for travel throughout Massachusetts.
- May require some evening and weekend commitments.
MTA has a competitive compensation program with a robust benefits package that includes: a defined benefit plan, 401k, medical, dental, STD, LTD, paid holidays and a generous time off program.
MTA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff.