The mission of Boston Collegiate Charter School (BCCS) is simple yet ambitious: to prepare each student for college. We offer an academically rigorous college preparatory curriculum for 700 students in fifth through twelfth grades. One hundred percent of our graduates have been accepted to college; the majority of them will be the first in their families to complete a college degree.
All BCCS students will graduate empowered to choose their own direction, with options aligned with their passions and interests and with the critical thinking capability to choose wisely. They will be equipped not only to go to college, but to thrive there. They will have the skills and the leadership mindsets necessary to make an impact in their communities and beyond. To achieve this vision for our graduates, BCCS will be a leading school in academically rigorous, equitable, and inclusive educational practices in Boston. BCCS will create opportunities for each student to thrive and cultivate the unique talents that they bring. BCCS will be a beacon of the twin pillars of scholarship and belonging, and thus a national model for what integrated education can look like at its best.
OUR STRATEGIC FOCUS AREAS
BCCS strives to be an anti-racist school and knows that every student should feel seen and heard in who they are while having access to a high-quality education. BCCS is committed to the long-term work of dismantling systems of oppression and inequity in our community. Please refer to our 2020-2023 Strategic Plan for more details.
BCCS seeks a diligent, proactive, collegial, and results-oriented Director of Development and Communications to oversee our overall fundraising strategy in partnership with the Executive Director and Chief of Staff and External Affairs. Reporting to the Chief of Staff and External Affairs, the Director of Development and Communications will lead BCCS’ effort to meet our annual revenue target of $1M+ while continuing to build and diversify our donor portfolio of individuals, corporations, and foundations. The Director of Development and Communications will manage a team that includes a grant writing consultant and a to-be-hired Development and Communications Associate.
The Director of Development and Communications is one of the lead advocates and champions for Boston Collegiate Charter School and as such must have a keen understanding of the importance of our mission and a strong belief that every child deserves access to a high-quality public education.
Key responsibilities of the Director of Development and Communications include, but are not limited to:
Direct Fundraising and Donor Engagement
- Build active and thoughtful relationships with, and solicit major gifts from BCCS’ existing portfolio of individual, corporate, and foundation donors;
- Identify new potential individual, corporate, and foundation donors and cultivate meaningful relationships to build the school’s donor base;
- Execute a data-driven, strategic, and relationship-based approach to donor engagement to build philanthropy in support of BCCS’ mission;
- Maintain a grants submission calendar and, in partnership with BCCS’ grant writing consultant, submit compelling proposals and progress reports in a timely manner for all grant funders;
- Effectively communicate the mission and impact of BCCS in alignment with the philanthropic needs of the school;
- Facilitate and create supportive fundraising structures that encourage donors to support BCCS, including the potential launch of an annual giving society, alumni program, and/or planned giving program;
- Support the development of a formal volunteer program at BCCS as a way to cultivate and steward individual and corporate partners;
- Oversee the exploration, planning, and execution of a future capital campaign to develop a newly acquired property as part of our Upper School campus; and
- Support Board and Committee relations by liaising on annual giving commitments and providing regular fundraising reports to the Board and Development Committee.
- Possess a deep understanding of the mission, values, and qualities that differentiate BCCS from its peers and develop stories and communications that inspire external audiences to join our community;
- Create compelling communications (both print and digital) for BCCS stakeholders, including newsletters, email blasts, the annual report to the community, and other collateral materials that represent the BCCS brand and that convey impact, inspiration, and warmth, liaising with an external graphic designer to best represent the school;
- Oversee branding and communication strategy of the BCCS website, ensuring the overall look, feel, and content effectively convey all that is special about the school; and
- Develop and oversee a comprehensive strategy for BCCS’ social media, which includes Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Oversee all aspects of BCCS’ Annual Dinner, the school’s largest fundraising event of the year, with support from the Development and Communications Associate, including developing fundraising goals, staffing the volunteer Event Committee, managing all event logistics, and developing an engaging, inspiring program that showcases our students and our mission;
- Coordinate a strategic approach to post-event follow-up with an eye towards converting first-time event supporters to long-term donors of the school;
- Develop a thoughtful calendar of events throughout the years targeted towards continued stewardship of existing supporters and cultivation of new prospects; and
- With the Development and Communications Associate, manage the school’s young professionals Board, including serving as the liaison between these volunteer leaders and the school.
- Maintain detailed contact reports in Bloomerang, BCCS’s customer relationship management system, and use constituent data to drive fundraising strategies; and
- Conduct prospect research and create prep documents for Executive Director and Chief of Staff and External Affairs in advance of Development-related meetings, with support from the Development Associate.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- A minimum of five years of Development experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidates should have a proven track record in soliciting and closing major gifts and be able to demonstrate successful relationship building.
- Previous experience with Bloomerang or other CRM technology required.
- Previous experience with WordPress preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Superior orientation to detail.
- A team orientation and willingness to work collaboratively on all levels of tasks to support the Development operation and larger organization.
- Commitment to high-quality public education and the opportunities it affords students.
JOIN OUR TEAM
To learn even more about working at Boston Collegiate Charter School, please visit our website. To formally apply, please submit an application. No telephone or email inquiries, please.