5070 Parkside Avenue
Community Outreach Manager Job Description
The Philadelphia Parks Alliance is looking for an energetic and passionate Community Outreach Manager to lead our outreach to parks and recreation facilities throughout the city. This is a perfect opportunity for a grass-roots organizer interested in working on both the neighborhood and citywide level.
Founded in 1983, the Parks Alliance is the voice of Philadelphia's parks and recreation users—advocating for and supporting one of the largest urban parks and recreation systems in the country with more than 300 parks and recreation facilities. In addition to our traditional public space advocacy, the Parks Alliance has recently grown our community outreach and direct service arms. We now provide support and resources to the city's 150+ recreation centers and their volunteers.
The Parks Alliance is a fast-paced and lively small non-profit that welcomes big ideas and big personalities at our convenient West Philadelphia office. Read more about the Parks Alliance's work and mission at www.philaparks.org.
Recreation Advisory Councils serve as the governing body for neighborhood recreation centers. The Philadelphia Recreation Advisory Council (PRAC) is the umbrella organization for all recreation center Advisory Councils. It is the goal of the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and the Philadelphia Parks Alliance that every recreation center will have an Advisory Council and that Advisory Council and PRAC members have the training and resources to effectively deliver needed community programming. The Community Outreach Manager is responsible for implementing the Parks Alliance daily, ongoing outreach activities, data management, as well as informing the organization’s overall outreach strategy.
The Community Outreach Manager’s main activities include building the capacity of Advisory Council members and structuring a citywide advocacy network through community engagement and volunteer training. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will work directly with the Executive Director and staff from the Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation. The Community Outreach Manager will have one to two full-time fellows and some part-time volunteers as direct reports. This is a full-time position based at the Parks Alliance’s West Philadelphia office. The position involves weekly evening meetings with Advisory Council members.
- Establish and maintain relationships with Advisory Council members at the City’s 150+ recreation centers
- Manage data collection on recreation center volunteers, activities, instructors, community participation, facility needs and extent of interaction with the Parks Alliance
- Organize neighborhood meetings and community dinners at select recreation centers to increase community awareness and interest in recreation centers
- Lead the organization of the four (4) citywide PRAC meetings and 14 district meetings held each year
- Coordinate consultations and/or trainings in program development, fundraising, advocacy, marketing for Advisory Council members
- Collaborate with Parks Alliance colleagues and other local nonprofit institutions on designing community engagement events at recreation centers selected for investment under the City’s Rebuild program
- Participate in senior staff meetings to coordinate outreach activities with other Alliance strategic initiatives
Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 3 years experience of direct organizing and/or outreach experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A High School Diploma or GED required, Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability to travel, work some evenings and a valid driver’s license required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel preferred
- Knowledge of Access or another data management system preferred
- Understanding of the history and economic condition of Philadelphia neighborhoods as well as the underlying political and social influences is helpful
- Spanish speakers encouraged to apply
Annual Salary: $40,000 - $45,000
This position is currently fully funded for two years. Contingent upon additional funding the Community Outreach Manager position will be extended.
Health care & retirement package
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume, and with subject "Community Outreach Manager position" to George Matysik at " gmatysik [at] philaparks.org "