Details: Salary is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
207 North Broadway
Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle and low cost of living while representing those without a voice in our legal system. MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our attorneys challenging and fulfilling litigation work, a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Position: We’re looking for a Staff Attorney in our Billings office to represent survivors of family violence. The pay range we’re offering is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
- MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
- We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
- And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).
- A law degree and current license to practice law in Montana is preferred. We will consider applicants with the ability to waive in with a qualifying UBE score, or a willingness to take and pass the next Montana Bar Exam.
- Prior legal services experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
- Semi-regular overnight travel to the Fort Peck Indian Reservation is required, along with overnight and day travel to other outlying areas as needed.
- Represent survivors of family violence in Billings and the surrounding area, and on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation.
- Work primarily in the area of family law, but may also assist with other poverty law issues including consumer, housing, employment, public benefits, and probate.
- Provide legal services ranging from brief counsel and advice, to full-scale representation and litigation.
- Participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implement grant and contract requirements through casework.
The Location: You’ll be based in Montana’s largest city, Billings, known as “Montana’s Trailhead”. Enjoy easy access to Yellowstone National Park and great skiing near the small mountain town of Red Lodge. Over 40 miles of hiking and biking trails beckon just outside your door. Billings is also home to Montana’s only walkable Brewery District featuring six craft breweries, two distilleries and a cider house. MLSA’s office is located in the heart of downtown Billings with easy parking and within walking distance of great restaurants and bars.
Why Should You Apply?
- Live your values and put your law degree to work by representing people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- Great benefits, generous leave, and competitive pay.
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
- The chance to hone your litigation skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
MLSA offers an attractive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement and educational loan repayment assistance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening of applicants is ongoing and the position will remain open until filled. The priority deadline for applications is November 19, 2018.