Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is looking for qualified candidates for the position of Senior Writer and Public Relations Officer. The candidate will be responsible for supporting the External Affairs team in the execution of activities around the world that advance health and opportunity for all people. The Senior Writer and Public Relations Officer will work with a world-class team of communication experts with a culture of supportive teamwork, rigorous evaluation, innovation and good humor.
Responsibilities will include writing and editing press releases, speeches, blogs and op-eds, and developing story pitches targeted to national and international media. This role will also support campaign launches, coordinate media requests, and speaking engagements and events. Reporting to the Director of PR, the Senior Writer and Public Relations Officer will also partner with technical staff to create materials relevant to a wide variety of programs ranging from environmental issues to tobacco control. This is a full-time position based in New York City. Applicants must possess a valid work permit to work in New York City.
- Write compelling content including press releases, op-eds, speeches, statements, blogs, story pitches, and newsletters.
- Work closely with our technical staff to develop story angles and ideas to further our organization’s goals, activities, and impact.
- Support interviews, site visits, press briefings and other media engagements to advance the organization’s mission with national and international media, and coverage of relevant issues, our partners, and our programs.
- Curate, oversee, and develop content for distribution across multiple platforms, including newsletters, and other marketing materials.
- Support speaking and other thought leadership opportunities for our technical staff.
- Assist with developing and updating brochures, media kits, fact sheets, and other collateral material as needed.
Qualifications and Skill Set:
- Five to seven years of communications, PR, and/or marketing experience.
- Excellent writer and storyteller. You have a knack for connecting with audiences through exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to bring new, creative ideas to communicating the organization's work.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience using data to tell a story for non-technical audiences.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across time zones and platforms.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Experience in media and public relations
- Industry experience in public health / advocacy work
- Candidate based in New York.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation for full-time employees and pro-rata for part-time employees based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits and basic life and personal accident insurance.
Minimum Education Required