Details: Salary ranges from mid-60s to 70s
501 Cambridge Street
Overview and Organizational Summary
Farm Aid is seeking a Development & Brand Director to join our small but mighty team in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Reporting to the Associate Director, the Development & Brand Director will provide strategic leadership of Farm Aid’s fundraising activities and designs, leads, and oversees implementation of a comprehensive development plan to increase and diversify individual, foundation and corporate giving. The Development & Brand Director will achieve this goal by assessing and enhancing existing strategies, and developing new, innovative approaches to generating revenue and awareness. The Development & Brand Director will also serve as a brand strategist, employing a marketing perspective and working collaboratively across the organization for the effective utilization of all of Farm Aid’s assets. This newly created position was designed to attract, grow, and retain an engaged, loyal community of donors to increase Farm Aid’s reach and revenue.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a nontraditional development program in a unique organization at the intersection of the music business, food and culture enterprises, direct services, advocacy and a grassroots movement for family farmers. Farm Aid is a national nonprofit organization working to build a vibrant, family farm-centered system of agriculture in America. Since 1985, Farm Aid has raised over $50 million to support programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms. The majority of Farm Aid's revenue is earned through our annual concert and related activities.
Farm Aid recognizes that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising Strategy & Execution (estimated to comprise 60% of effort)
- Assess current fundraising programs and identify opportunities for enhancement and innovation, coordinating, and engaging the strengths and input of the Development Manager and Revenue Team to design short and long-term, comprehensive fundraising strategies with measurable goals.
- Increase annual individual gift revenue through a multi-channeled approach including major gifts, direct mail appeals, fundraising campaigns, media/broadcasts, peer to peer, and online giving campaigns, working with and supporting the Development Manager. Serve as primary relationship manager for a donor advisory council and major donors, including prospecting, cultivation, stewardship, solicitation and communications.
- Guide the strategy and execution of fundraising and special events, including certain events associated with the annual concert.
- Plan and oversee execution of Farm Aid’s grant seeking strategy, engaging and partnering with staff on writing and submitting grant proposals, and reporting on awards.
- Contribute ideas, writing and data analysis for internal and external reporting of development activities.
- Develop and monitor the annual development revenue and expenses budget, ensuring adequate profit margin for all activities.
- Working collaboratively with Operations and Revenue teams, evaluate and improve the revenue-generating infrastructure (database, gift processing, technology, staffing, systems, etc.) necessary for increasing revenue and reach.
Brand Strategy & Stewardship (estimated to comprise 25% of effort)
- Serve as an effective, enthusiastic ambassador for Farm Aid’s brand with internal and external audiences, engaging Farm Aid’s diverse constituency in championing its work and increasing revenue.
- Contribute a fundraising and marketing perspective to the development and implementation of a cohesive branding strategy, including collateral, that ensures Farm Aid’s brand remains strong and resonant, and true to the brand framework.
- Collaborate with FA staff and agency of record, a creative design firm, on marketing efforts and campaigns for an effective expression of brand strategy, particularly for revenue generation.
- Identify opportunities to increase brand awareness and visibility, and develop a more prominent presence for Farm Aid with funders, community members, and strategic philanthropic partners.
Organizational Leadership (estimated to comprise 15% of effort)
- Participate as an active team member to bring ideas, raise issues, problem-solve, and ensure that the appropriate resources, structures and systems are available to empower staff to achieve the greatest organizational impact.
- Lead the Revenue Team—a cross-functional team that comprises development, cause marketing, operations, programming, communications and marketing staff—in development, implementation and monitoring of the annual revenue budget and related activities.
- Provide strong leadership, coaching, collaboration, capacity building, and professional development for development staff; identify needs for additional staffing and resources, and participate in recruitment, hiring, orientation and evaluation of development staff.
- Participate in staff meetings, reviews and planning retreats and lead other cross-functional or ad-hoc teams as needed.
- Support Board, staff, and volunteers in their fundraising efforts, cultivating a culture of philanthropy within Farm Aid.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your Characteristics and Qualifications:
- Relationship builder – you thrive on meeting new people and like to foster relationships. You like learning what motivates people, what inspires their generosity and makes them feel appreciated. You are skilled and experienced with successfully building and stewarding relationships that result in increased and deepened engagement that furthers the mission.
- Strategic doer – you’re excited by the opportunity to set the vision and engage in the work that will take our development efforts to the next level. You are able to balance generating revenue in the short-term with building successful long-term development infrastructure.
- Effective collaborator – you’ve successfully engaged stakeholders with diverse interests and have the ability to operate in complex situations. You can easily gain trust from team members and are known for supporting them and enhancing their scope of work.
- Principled – you possess high standards of integrity, credibility, discretion and reliability to articulate the organization’s needs, opportunities, and aspirations with clarity and enthusiasm.
- Analytical – you approach development work with a data-driven and marketing lens.
- Team-oriented – you are a pro-active, detail-oriented and organized project leader, with demonstrated success in project budgeting and management, and guiding groups through the effective planning and implementation of development strategies.
- Skilled communicator – you are a careful listener and can effectively translate brand strategy through compelling content and communications.
- Mission driven – you come to this role with a strong desire to contribute to the cultivation of a family farm centered system of agricultural that celebrates farmers, good food, and healthy communities and ecosystems.
- Resourceful and enterprising – you are comfortable working in a small team environment and taking on both strategic and tactical responsibilities, and you demonstrate flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor.
- You have at least five years (7-10 preferred) of experience in development and marketing work that equip you with the knowledge of principles and best practices associated with nonprofit development, brand strategy and marketing.
- You have technical proficiency using Microsoft Office, and working with a CRM (Salesforce preferred) with strong understanding of how to leverage it for greatest engagement impact.
- You have willingness and flexibility to work as needed to meet deadlines, and you are able to travel as needed (10%-20%)
Farm Aid seeks to have a start date for this position as early as June.
Farm Aid offers generous benefits, including 4 weeks vacation, and 100% health insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you possess many of these characteristics and qualifications and are excited about this opportunity, we'd love to hear from you!
- Submit your application by end of day Wednesday, April 18, 2018.
- Early applications are strongly encouraged, as applications will be considered as they are received.
- In your application, include the following:
- a cover letter indicating where you learned of this opportunity and highlighting your experience and skills relevant to the position and listed qualifications
- a current resume
- a writing sample.
- Candidates invited to compete for the position may be asked to complete sample projects.
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development & Brand Director” in the subject line.
- No calls please.
Farm Aid is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Farm Aid, please visit www.farmaid.org