The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD) is where adventurous minds encounter the best in contemporary visual, literary, music, and performing arts. A responsive center for diverse audiences, MOCAD presents art that contextualizes, interprets, educates and expands culture, pushing us to the edges of contemporary experience. MOCAD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Part time, 20-29 hrs. per week
- Schedule is Thursday-Sunday and during special events as needed
- Non-exempt, $15/hr. plus tips
Café + Special Events Manager
The Café 78 Associate is responsible for welcoming visitors and providing them with excellent customer service in the café, including informing them of the food and beverage options available, preparing and serving orders, helping to maintain cleanliness of the café area, and other duties as assigned. The goal of this role is to help ensure all visitors have a positive and enjoyable experience visiting the Museum.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Support the operations of the MOCAD Café which include but are not limited to: opening, closing, customer service and sales, stocking, coffee and espresso service, preparing and serving Café 78 menu items, cocktail service, cleaning and sanitation, dishes, and cash handling including end-of-day drops.
- Clean and sanitize café and kitchen area to meet and exceed local health code during service and after close, including sweeping, sanitizing tables and chairs, and removing garbage and recycling.
- Maintain additional sanitizing protocol as outlined in the Museum COVID-19 pandemic response plan, to assist in providing a safe environment for visitors and employees. Work with the team to monitor the café space in accordance with pandemic response protocols.
- Receive vendor products and assist in maintain running inventories of current stock to simplify ordering and reduce waste.
- Organize and maintain service areas to ensure prompt and efficient order fulfillment.
- Follow recipes and procedures for espresso, cocktail, and food service in order to ensure consistent product delivery and meeting cost of goods goals.
- Properly use, clean, and maintain all equipment to manufacturer specifications and/or Café 78 training standards.
- Maintain regular communication with Café + Special Events Manager and Assistant.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- A minimum of one year of relevant sales, banquet, bar, catering, and/or cafe experience, including customer service and basic knowledge of accounting procedures and cash handling.
- Some espresso and/or cocktail experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a friendly attitude and ability to work on a team.
- Must be prompt, professional, and prepared to work at the beginning of each shift.
- Ability to be neat, orderly, and a thorough cleaner.
- An interest in well-prepared foods and coffee.
- Basic knowledge of food sanitation requirements.
- Ability to handle high-volume, busy periods.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, lift from ground to above shoulder, climb stairs and ladders, bend, stoop, sit, push, pull, and perform tasks requiring manual dexterity.
- ServSafe certification required (can be completed after date of hire, if necessary).
- Ability to work independently.
- Must have weekend availability.
To apply for this role, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF. Sorry, we are unable to respond to phone calls about this position.
The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit provides equal opportunity to all applicants.