10 South Street
Governors Island is a 172-acre island in the heart of New York Harbor nestled between Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn waterfront. Eight minutes from the energy and excitement of the City, the Island is a popular seasonal destination. A resilient new park is complemented by dozens of unique historic buildings, environmental educational facilities, a rich arts and culture program and a 22-acre National Monument managed by the National Park Service. Unlike anywhere else in New York, Governors Island offers peaceful settings with sweeping views of the Harbor, Lower Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty. Looking ahead, the Island will be activated year-round as a sustainable campus for learning and entrepreneurship, with plans for expanded commercial and non-profit uses in its future.
In 2018, Governors Island will be open to the public every day from May 1-October 31. Island operations continue year-round, with a public high school, artist residency program and new commercial tenancies.
The Operations Supervisor will be a seasonal (May 1-October 31) full-time employee of The Trust for Governors Island (Trust). Reporting to the Operations Manager, the supervisor works collaboratively to expedite work and event logistics with the on-site operations team. The Operations Supervisor shares the responsibility of acting as point-person for the entire Island with a team of other supervisors. This is a hands-on role that requires daily work outdoors and in all weather conditions.
- Inspect all facilities and property areas daily, identify and troubleshoot problems, liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve resolution.
- Supervise Island Operations teams including grounds cleaning, restroom cleaning and event setup teams.
- Act as main point of contact for public access tenants including: campsite and recreational activities.
- Coordinate day-of logistics for grill reservations and sports fields.
- Work with Island teams to manage on-site crowd control and emergency response.
- Supervise opening and/or closing the Island.
- Manage ferry queuing logistics and liaise with Island Security Supervisor during peak hours.
- Work with events team to schedule field staff to support the execution of programs and events.
- Respond to inquiries from Island visitors, focusing on customer service.
- Work a schedule that varies to meet Island needs, including weekends, nights and holidays.
- Supervisory duties include but are not limited to:
- Work with subcontractors to train field personnel and present a consistent level of service to Island tenants and visitors.
- Work alongside field personnel, orchestrating daily workflows ensuring proper and timely execution of tasks.
- Escalate concerns and observations to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Provide consistent positive and constructive feedback to staff.
- Communicate consistently, liaising between all Trust teams and departments.
- Experience in public space operations, event production or a similar field.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to supervise a team implementing a regular schedule of maintenance and cleaning tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Sound organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of days, evenings, weekends, long shifts and holiday shifts.
- OSHA-certified or the ability to be certified.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions (year-round).
- Ability to walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and regularly lift and/or move 75 lbs with proper tools.
- A team-player mentality with a willingness to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standard of Island operations.
- Driver’s license.
ABOUT THE TRUST FOR GOVERNORS ISLAND
The Trust for Governors Island (“The Trust”) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust's mission is to transform Governors Island into a vibrant resource for New York City, making this island at the center of New York Harbor a destination with extraordinary public open space, as well as educational, not-for-profit and commercial facilities.
For more information visit www.govisland.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to email@example.com with “Operations Supervisor” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service or other non-merit factor.