Criminal Justice Program Policy Associate or Senior Policy Associate
- Job posted by Urban Peace Institute
1910 W. Sunset Blvd.
Urban Peace Institute, Criminal Justice Program Policy Associate or Senior Policy Associate Non-exempt, Full-time Position
Urban Peace Institute (UPI) develops and implements policy, practice and systems solutions to reduce violence, achieve safety and improve community health so that families can thrive. Our goal is that all members of all communities have the safety, opportunity and health they need to thrive. We use innovative tools and strategies to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change.
This is a high responsibility, fast-paced position that requires project and relationship management, policy analysis, legislative advocacy, skilled organizing, and research and writing ability. There is the potential for this position to be funded at a senior level with increased project leadership responsibilities. Applicants interested in both a Criminal Justice Program Policy Associate or Senior Policy Associate position are encouraged to apply.
The Urban Peace Institute’s Criminal Justice Program combines the direct representation and community lawyering with policy analysis and advocacy to reduce violence, achieve safety and improve community health so that communities can thrive. We desire a motivated team member to support UPI’s efforts to transform the Los Angeles Probation Department and to develop a countywide vision for juvenile justice including reducing youth contact with the justice system and creating meaningful community voice and leadership in the County’s justice decisions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Support UPI juvenile justice strategy development and partnership with juvenile justice allies;
· Actively participate in forums, meetings, and strategy sessions with community members, public officials, law enforcement, statewide coalitions and other subject matter experts;
· Cultivate and manage collaborative relationships with a broad array of stakeholders including community-based organizations, community leaders, law enforcement, academics, and other subject matter experts locally and nationally;
· Assist in data gathering and analysis, and conduct literature reviews and research various topics using academic, on-line and other resources;
· Develop program reports and policy briefs to support UPI Criminal Justice Program work;
· Work in alignment with other UPI projects to strengthen overall UPI mission;
· Participate in agency wide planning, development and communication activities as needed and ensure adherence to agency wide goals and policies within the project area.
Policy/research duties include but not limited to:
· Support statewide and local policy analysis and legislative advocacy to reduce violence and improve community health through policy and systems change;
· Literature reviews, analysis, and online research on various policy topics;
· Provide research support for UPI Criminal Justice Program projects including legal strategies, strategies to end mass incarceration, and violence prevention;
· Other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
· Ability to work effectively with diverse people across the spectrum of socio-economic status, race, ethnicity and gender orientation;
· Demonstrated commitment to social justice and a disposition to work in an organization focused on civil rights and equity;
· Background in coalition-building or community organizing and policy advocacy is highly desired;
· Specific experience on Urban Peace issues and/or juvenile justice is highly desired;
· General background in community-based non-profit work, social work, or other related field;
· Experience in research and policy development is highly desired;
· Ability to multi-task under high pressure while remaining highly organized;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, i.e. grant and report writing, outreach, facilitation and message delivery
· Strong analytical abilities, self-starter, organized, and detail oriented;
· Ability to take on responsibilities independently and work as a team with only general supervision;
· Strong internet research skills and very high computer proficiency;
· Excellent interpersonal skills;
· Familiarity with various forms of social media.
Includes health benefits. Parking is also included.
Urban Peace Institute is an “at will” and equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are
encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter stating interest in the position specifically detailing: 1) experience with policy advocacy and/or coalition organizing and 2) commitment to urban peace issues and/or social justice to:
ATTN: Josh Green, Criminal Justice Program Manager 1910 W. Sunset Blvd., Suite 800, Los Angeles, CA 90026
Or e‐mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled