510 South Congress Avenue
The newly created Mitigation and Investigation Unit at Texas Defender Service (TDS) invites applications for a part-time (20-25 hours/week) Mitigaiton Unit Clerk to work in the project’s Austin, Texas office. Schedule is flexible and worked around a class schedule. The Mitigation Unit Clerk will work under the supervision of the Director of Mitigation and Investigation.
TDS is a 22-year-old private, non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the Texas criminal justice system by reducing unfair use of the death penalty and by implementing an effective indigent defense system. The Mitigation and Investigation Unit is dedicated providing systematic and comprehensive life history investigations for those facing the death penalty.
The Mitigation Unit Clerk is responsible for supporting the mitigation unit staff in various ways including: record collection, file organization, expense reports, and other administrative duties as needed.
· Identify, locate, obtain, and process relevant records for client and all additional family members.
· Conduct exhaustive courthouse searches throughout the state
· Organizing and administering all aspects of the client’s records in the case file.
· Assisting in providing relevant documentary evidence to experts.
· Working as a member and facilitating the success of teams.
· Furnish reports on record collection status and assist in completion of chronologies.
· Assist in mitigation specialist in timely processing of expenses
· Assist Mitigation Director in creating invoices for billing purposes
· Bachelor’s degree
· Valid Texas driver’s license.
· An organized and precise work practice with attention to detail and accuracy.
· Highly developed ability to absorb and order information.
· Highly developed interpersonal skills.
· Commitment to excellence in indigent defense services.
· Ability to work in a client-centered practice and maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained.
· Experience with Internet research and strong computer skills with programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Non-essential but highly desirable
· Computer literacy in additional software such as: spreadsheets, databases, case management software.
· Bilingual, Spanish speaking.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references no later than March 15, 2018 to: email@example.com OR
Texas Defender Service
ATTN: Mitigation Unit Clerk Position
510 S. Congress Avenue, Suite 304
Austin, TX 78704