1300 Spring Street
HIAS seeks a Special Assistant to the President and CEO to provide administrative, liaison and research support to the President and CEO and serve as the primary administrative liaison from the Executive Office to the Board of Directors. S/he represents the best interests of the President and CEO to internal and external constituencies and stakeholders in a professional and confidential manner.
- Supports the daily activities and scheduling of the President and CEO, including preparation for speaking engagements, conferences, meetings, and travel.
- Undertakes research and prepares special materials required by the President and CEO to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Completes and submits expense reimbursement reports with proper backup for the President and CEO.
- Assists in the development of the Executive Office Budget and completes and submits expense reimbursement reports with proper back-up for all Executive Office programs.
- Serves as the HIASnet Content Editor for the Executive Office including maintaining the organization- wide calendar.
- Plan and memorializes Board meetings, working closely with the Chief of Staff and Division heads, including organizing logistics, informing and communicating with Board members and preparing the meeting agenda, presentations, and all materials.
- Provides staff support to the Board meetings by organizing staff assistance, taking and producing minutes, managing the necessary food and transportation, supervising and conducting IT needs, developing and posting materials to Base Camp, and maintaining records in the officially proscribed manner in order to fulfill internal needs and to meet regulatory and audit requirements.
- Provides staff support to the Emeritus Council.
- Coordinates with the Special Assistant to the Executive Leadership Team to ensure that administrative and logistical support is provided to all committees of the Board of Directors.
- Works with the VP for Development, steward relationships with the major donors that the President and CEO is responsible for soliciting.
- Maintains a filing system for the Executive Office.
- Brings commitment and integrity to accomplishing HIAS' mission and goals in this and other duties as assigned and commits to personal and professional implementation of HIAS' Core values.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree required; graduate degree a plus.
- One to three years working at a nonprofit, preferably with administrative and event planning.
- Some knowledge of Judaism and/ or the Jewish community, culture and issues is a plus.
- Previous experience and demonstrated interest in refugees, asylum seekers and humanitarian assistance preferred; experience working in refugee organization strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel between Silver Spring and other locations, as necessary; willingness to work weekends, as needed.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task between projects, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines; flexibility and ability to work effectively with limited supervision.
- Excellent research, analytical, oral, written and problem solving skills; sense of humor appreciated.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; excellent research skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and maintain confidential information on behalf of the Executive Office and the Board of Directors.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter and employment application through our website in order to be considered.