Job Placement Coordinator [Serve young people with The Choice Program!]
- Job posted by The Choice Program at UMBC
Details: Note: This is a grant-funded position wherein employment is contingent upon renewal of the grant
The Choice Program at UMBC
The Choice Program is administered by The Shriver Center, the service-learning and community engagement hub of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). Our mission is to strengthen communities through innovative, family-focused strategies to connect youth to educational and vocational opportunities. The Choice Program has served over 20,000 youth in Maryland for 30 years.
Our Choice Jobs Program prepares youth to successfully enter today’s workforce. We deliver community-based vocational services to young people, using a model that includes job readiness and life skills training, paid on-the-job training experience at our social enterprise, and supported job placement.
We ground ourselves in theoretical perspective and values that focus on dismantling racist structures and approaches to human service work and, instead, employ strengths-based approaches focused on positive relationships and self-agency.
We have the exciting opportunity to bring aboard 2 new Job Placement Coordinators to join our important work in Howard County!
The Job Placement Coordinator is an important member of the Choice Jobs Team and has three overarching responsibilities:
1) Establish, maintain and reinvigorate relationships with employers to secure employment opportunities for young people receiving workforce development services with The Choice Program
2) Partner with Choice representatives and the Howard County Local Children's Board to effectively match Choice clients with employment opportunities in their designated service area
3) Meet with young people from the Howard County area to identify their areas of vocational interest, overcome barriers to employment, and match them with relevant employment opportunities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain relationships with local employers in the Howard County area to directly benefit participants in the Choice Jobs Program in securing external employment. This includes participation in local collaborative groups focused on employment outcomes, in-person meetings with employers, ongoing outreach and connection to external stakeholders;
- Provides structured classroom and individual job training and life skills training sessions to youth participants;
- Develops marketing materials to cultivate employer connections and employment opportunities;
- Engages with Choice Jobs participants to match them with employment opportunities based on their skills, work experience, and related training and interests;
- Provides support to newly-employed participants through early stages of work, and completes retention check-ins at 30, 60, and 90 days of employment placement.
- Schedules in-person meetings with employers to promote Choice Jobs employment services and to develop job opportunities for Choice Jobs participants;
- Partners closely with the Choice Jobs Program leadership team to facilitate a routine process for informing staff and Choice Jobs participants of employment opportunities.
- Documents, consistently and accurately, in real time, all participant and employer contact, activities and outcomes into ETO (Efforts to Outcomes).
- Other duties, as assigned
Due to the nature of the work flow and level of responsibility, this individual maintains a flexible schedule which goes beyond a 40 hour work week. Evening and weekend work involved.
Requires a Bachelor's degree. Experience with workforce development is preferred. Position requires use of automobile & valid driver's license.
Preferred skills and traits:
Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
Ability to build relationships with a diverse group of people;
Dedication to achieving goals & to being results-oriented;
Proactive work ethic and strengths-based approach;
Focus on workforce development by demonstrating respect, fairness, patience, and efficiency to participants, employees, and employers;
Strong attention to detail and quality;
Ability to effectively network with others, particularly employers;
Willingness to perform regular local and sometimes regional travel;
Commitment to equity and racial justice.
A background check will be required and reviewed on a case by case basis. Individuals with a criminal background are encouraged to apply.
UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This position comes with full-time exempt staff USM competitive benefits package including healthcare, tuition remission, expense reimbursement, prescription, dental, EAP, and retirement. This position includes 22 days of annual leave per year (available as accumulated), 15 days of sick leave (available as accumulated), 3 personal days and 14 paid university holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online directly through UMBC's portal HERE.
For best consideration, submit your application by or on September 23, 2018. Applications will be accepted until both positions are filled.