Details: $125/session; $80/session during training
210 W. 101 St.
- Teach 3-4 Fair Shake programs to disadvantaged middle school youth in partner schools and non-profit organizations in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens. Programs meet once a week for 6-10 weeks for one hour. Three therapy dog teams and 12 youth participate in each session.
- The structured curriculum that includes hands-on training -- basic commands and tricks, rudimentary agility and dog-related topics including shelters, rescue, breed discrimination, working dogs, etc.
- Train with an established Fair Shake instructor over a 10-week program cycle and provide assistant teaching support.
- Ensure the safety of dogs and kids in each program
- Build relationship with volunteer teams and school staff.
- Communicate with Executive Director regarding issues and opportunities as they arise.
Candidate should be available 15-20 hours per week. Individual must have significant hands-on experience with dogs such as a trainer, CPDT, therapy dog handler or evaluator, or volunteer with a shelter or rescue organization. Strong interpersonal skills and sensitivity essential to building relationships with youth, volunteers and school staff. Experience teaching or working with youth preferred.
Able to work independently, demonstrate good judgment, have good problem solving skills and be flexible.
Basic computer proficiency required.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required