37-43 77th Street
Chhaya CDC is looking for a seasonal tax preparation professional. This is an exciting, rewarding and challenging position that requires the tax preparer to interview and prepare taxes at our free tax site during the 2019 tax filing season. The tax preparer is responsible for adhering to the Standard of Conduct procedures and processes required by the IRS and Chhaya CDC to ensure the accuracy and proper filing of tax returns at the site.
Based in Jackson Heights, Queens, Chhaya meaning "shelter or shade" is dedicated to working with New Yorkers of South Asian origin to advocate for and build economically stable, sustainable and thriving communities. Our work encompasses community organizing, education, one-on-one counseling, research and advocacy around tenant rights, financial education, career advancement, homeownership, energy efficiency, and civic engagement.
● Prepare individual (1040) tax returns for clients with incomes under $66,000
● Collect necessary documents needed for processing the tax return
● Answer basic taxpayer questions and refer taxpayers for additional assistance if necessary
● Review tax return with taxpayer
● Complete quality review with Site Coordinator/Manager or designated personnel
● Follow and uphold Volunteer Standard of Conduct set forth by the IRS
● Responsible for adhering to quality procedures, accuracy, and security of tax files
● Other duties as required.
● Commitment to the mission of Chhaya CDC and the communities it serves.
● Tax, legal, financial or similar training and/or experience.
● At least one year of tax preparation experience
● Ability to work with the public, volunteers, and staff
● Candidate must be able to successfully achieve IRS advanced level preparer certification through an IRS developed exam as a condition of employment
● Must be able to commit to 3-month work assignment beginning late-January throughout to mid-April
● Must be able to work weekends and Saturdays
● Candidates bilingual in Spanish and/or a South Asian language (Hindi/Urdu, Bengali, Nepali, or Tibetan) preferred
Job Type: Part-Time
Reports to: Director of Programs
Level of Language Proficiency
Nepali, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org