37-43 77th Street
Chhaya seeks an energetic and dynamic Immigration Navigator to support its immigration and citizenship services program. The Immigration Navigator will focus on multiple Queens communities, assist clients seeking immigration assistance, connect community members to other important free services, and help organize community members around civic engagement, housing, and economic justice issues.
Based in Jackson Heights, Queens, New York, Chhaya Community Development Corporation (Chhaya) - meaning "shelter or shade" is dedicated to creating more stable and sustainable communities by increasing civic participation and addressing the housing and community development needs of New Yorkers of South Asian origin and their neighbors. Its work encompasses community organizing, education and one-on-one counseling as well as research and advocacy around tenant rights, financial education, homeownership, foreclosure prevention, immigration and civic engagement.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
· Pre-screen and screen clients for eligibility for naturalization or other immigration services
· Prepare clients for application process and with document gathering;
· Assist clients with completing applications affecting their immigration status;
· Follow up with clients regarding any issues that come up before they submit citizenship applications or other documents;
· Facilitate workshops related to immigration and social/economic justice issues;
· Work closely with Supervising Organizer to support naturalization workshops, clinics, and individual case management;
· Organize immigrant community members around issues related to economic justice;
· Collaborate with Action NYC partner attorneys to adequately screen, triage, and serve immigration clients;
· Create systems for follow up and engagement with clients;
· Support Advocacy and Organizing Team with projects related to immigration and civic engagement;
· Prepare notes and case stories for reports;
· Assist with other related task as needed.
· Bilingual in English and a South Asian language (Bangla, Punjabi, Urdu, Nepali, Tibetan or Hindi) is required;
· Experience in community organizing or direct service;
· Knowledge of citizenship application process and immigration status adjustment procedures strongly preferred.
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills;
· Desire to learn and open to challenges;
· Experience working in diverse, multicultural and immigrant communities;
Values and Perspectives:
· Commitment to immigrant and housing rights;
· Strong interest in community and social justice issues;
· Respectful and supportive of multi-ethnic, multi-faith, and multilingual organization
Reports to: Community Organizer, Citizenship and Civic Engagement
Chhaya CDC is an equal opportunity employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English and one of the following is required:
Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali, Tibetan, or other South Asian language OR Spanish
Minimum Education Required