126-02 82nd Avenue
Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
The Queens Family Court program provides a safe reception center and various services to victims of domestic violence and victims of crimes committed by juveniles. The program provides crisis intervention, case management services, advocacy, information and referrals, and practical assistance to survivors and victims of crime, providing client-centered safety assessments and risk management plans and reducing the impact of victimization.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide case services and crisis intervention to victims and survivors of crime;
- Provide assistance in navigating the family court and criminal justice systems;
- Conduct client-centered safety assessments and help clients prepare risk management plans;
- Provide court orientation, criminal justice advocacy, accompaniment and support;
- Prepare family offense petitions for victims of domestic violence;
- Provide emergency practical assistance including transportation, food vouchers, financial assistance, emergency cell phones, and lock replacement;
- Provide information and referrals for services such as shelters, long-term counseling, public assistance and other entitlements, and assistance with OVS applications;
- Advocate on behalf of clients with the district attorney’s office, family and criminal court personnel and judges, NYPD, NYCHA and other subsidized housing, employers, schools and other social service agencies;
- Provide technical assistance, consultation and opportunities for training new case managers and client advocates;
- Participate in staff meetings, community meetings and relevant trainings and seminars;
- Perform data entry into a computerized record keeping system; and
- Various other duties to be determined by supervisor.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Attend internal and external meetings, trainings and workshops;
- Assist with the administration of direct services;
- Work with the director to develop presentations to educate the community about the program and the dynamics of domestic violence and victimization; and
- Conduct presentations, training and outreach to service providers and law enforcement;
- Other Safe Horizon staff
Knowledge and Skills:
- Sensitivity towards and understanding of victimization, especially the experience of survivors of domestic violence;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner.
- Ability to generate ones own tasks and develop creative solutions to problems.
- A Bachelors degree or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience working with survivors of domestic violence and other victims of crime;
- Experience with the criminal justice system;
- Some supervisory experience;
- Bilingual strongly preferred
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume when applying to the position
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
Minimum Education Required