Health Access Foundation seeks a Communications Associate for the California Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Health and Human Services Network (CA LGBTQ HHS Network), a statewide coalition working to advance LGBT health equity. The position will assist in developing and coordinating CA LGBTQ HHS Network statewide communications strategies and coalition communications with a focus on digital media technologies. This includes targeting, planning, coalition building, working with policy staff and supporting organizers in efforts to build Health Access’ advocacy and organizational capacity via web and email based programs to advance the dynamic CA LGBTQ HHS Network policy and programmatic agenda. Excellent communication, work ethic, and a passion for LGBTQ equity and health care policy are essential.
The position can be based in either our Sacramento, Los Angeles, or Bay Area and will be directly supervised by the CA LGBTQ HHS Network Director based in Sacramento.
Specific responsibilities include:
Coalition and Constituency Communications
· With the Network Director, develop and send monthly newsletters and regular email updates to the CA LGBTQ HHS Network and LGBTQ Stakeholder Project participants about trainings, webinars, policy developments, advocacy opportunities, and funding opportunities.
· Facilitate CA LGBTQ HHS Network listservs as needed.
Social Media and Digital Communications and Marketing
· Manage Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts for the CA LGBTQ HHS Network.
· Paid advertising for multiple campaigns and events.
· Track, report, and analyze website and social media analytics related to the performance of CA LGBTQ HHS Network communications.
Graphic Design and Multimedia
· Create educational materials, such as fact sheets, blog posts, infographics, and brochures in collaboration with policy and organizing teams.
· Develop print and digital advertisements for multiple projects and campaigns, including We Breathe and #Out4MentalHealth.
· Virtual events, CVENT, and app development
· Maintain CA LGBTQ HHS Network website, including the blog and pages for #Out4MentalHealth and We Breathe campaigns
· Update and edit the information on Network webpages to reflect current information.
· Provide links to fact sheets, sample letters from our partner organizations, and other resources on webpages.
· Maintain a Network blog, which may include writing Network blog posts, soliciting guest posts, and maintaining the blog webpage.
· Work with consultant to optimize website for SEO, and make improvements to design and functioning of Network website.
· In collaboration with CA LGBTQ HHS Network staff and coalition partners, develop an annual communications plan to support the Network and Network campaigns.
· Engage cross-organizational teams to design and implement communications campaigns.
· Build effective relationships with the organizing and communications staff of coalition partners to create an expanded capacity for grassroots education, outreach, and advocacy.
· Oversee the implementation of communications strategies for the Network and its multiple projects, including #Out4MentalHealth and We Breathe.
· Conduct trainings for partners on relevant communications-related topics as needed.
· Plan and execute rapid response communications strategies as needed.
· Conduct outreach to potential statewide and regional coalition partners.
· Refer, assist, and publicize individuals with specific stories of experience with our health system.
· Maintain positive relationships with vendors, and facilitate design and ordering of printed Network materials.
· Draft press and media advisories and conduct outreach to media.
· Maintain an updated and robust press list and develop relationships with journalists who cover issues related to LGBTQ health.
· Draft evergreen articles related for multiple projects and campaigns, including We Breathe and #Out4MentalHealth.
· Develop sample Letters to the Editor.
· Work with Health Access Communications staff to coordinate messaging, timing, and efficiently deploy communications resources.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Passion for and commitment to addressing the issues, needs and interests of LGBTQ youth, adults, families and community, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender identity and transgender issues.
· Competency in intersectional LGBTQ communities.
· Bachelor degree or equivalent relevant work experience.
· At least 2-5 years of experience in communications, legislative, and/or non-profit communications.
· Background in Customer Relationship Management systems (CRM) such as, Constant Contact or Every Action, and/or Content Management Systems (CMS) such as Hootsuite and Wordpress.
· Ability to use remote working tools such as GoToMeeting, Zoom, CVENT, and ability to learn new digital platforms as necessary.
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud and Google Analytics.
· An independent thinker, self-motivated, problem solver, and team player with a commitment to excellence.
· Have strong organizational skills and ability to stay focused with attention to detail.
· Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills and experience.
· Ability to understand and communicate complicated policy to a lay audience.
· Managing multiple campaigns and projects at a time (We Breathe, #Out4MentalHealth).
· Experience with graphic design a plus.
· Skills designing flyers, PowerPoint slides, and/or social media graphics is a plus.
· Strong interpersonal and relational skills.
· Must be able to meet deadlines, be responsive, and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
· Read and comprehend general instructions, correspondence, and memos;
· Write professional correspondence.
· Spanish language fluency a strong plus but not required.
· Some overnight travel required, up to 5%.
Currently, most Health Access staff primarily works remotely, in accordance with state and local public health guidelines. When public health conditions allow, this position may work out of our Sacramento office, or through work-from-home situations, as do other LGBTQ Network staff.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About Health Access:
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the statewide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For over 30 years, Health Access has been a leader in the state’s health care reform movement, most recently as the lead coalition working to pass, implement, and defend the Affordable Care Act in California. Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, the Hospital Fair Pricing Act, and worked to expand and preserve Medi-Cal and Healthy Families health coverage.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters.
Interested candidates should send: resume, cover letter, including salary requirements, and design sample/portfolio link, if available. Reference LGBTQ Communications Associate position in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Access Foundation seeks a Communications Associate for the California Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Health and Human Services Network (CA LGBTQ HHS Network), a statewide coalition working to…
Interested candidates should send: resume, cover letter, including salary requirements, and design sample/portfolio link, if available. Reference LGBTQ Communications Associate position in the subject line to: email@example.com
Interested candidates should send: resume, cover letter, including salary requirements, and design sample/portfolio link, if available. Reference LGBTQ Communications…