3150 North San Fernando Road
Encore.org: Encore Fellowship Opportunity with School on Wheels
You are a Los Angeles based seasoned professional with a minimum of 25+ years of experience, who is retired or in transition. You want to continue to work and want to do something with meaning. You are ready for a second act for the greater good.
Encore Fellowships are structured programs that place highly-skilled, experienced professionals into social-purpose organizations, where they help nonprofits build capacity, and ultimately, have a greater impact on their communities. Fellows commit to 1,000 hours of work over 6 to 12 months. They are paid a stipend of $20,000 and are integrated into the nonprofit’s leadership team.
About School on Wheels (SOW)
The mission of School on Wheels (www.schoolonwheels.org) is to enhance educational opportunities for homeless children from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Their goal is to shrink the gaps in their education and provide them with the highest level of education possible. Their program serves as a consistent support system to homeless students at a time of great stress and fear, bringing the message to their students that they are cared about and important.
SOW’s tutoring program forms the center of their work. In 2017, volunteers came from all backgrounds and professions to provide more than 100,000 hours of focused educational support to 3,370 homeless children. SOW works with over 200 homeless shelters in six counties and has over 50 partnerships with community, nonprofit and corporate organizations.
Other SOW core programs support those students and thousands more that they can’t directly tutor. They help parents with paperwork, furnish uniforms to students, and provide bus tokens so that kids can get to school and parents can be there on their first days. They distribute backpacks filled with school supplies so that children can do their work and award scholarships to be used for any level of college, trade school, arts/music programs, educational summer programs, apprenticeships or enrichment classes. Most recently they launched a Digital Learning Initiative to help bridge the technological divide for their students.
Talent Champion Encore Fellow: Primary Role and Responsibilities
The Talent Champion will design and implement a strategy in the areas of career planning and mapping, training and development, organization structure and movement, and counseling. The plan will enable SOW to recruit, develop and retain committed high-performing staff members.
- Participate in the development of the organization's plans and programs as a strategic partner, but particularly from the perspective of the impact on people.
- Translate the strategic and tactical business plans into HR strategic and operational plans.
- Develop human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent
- gaps and develop specific programs to fill the identified gaps.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning of new programs/strategies and
- regulatory action as those items affect the attraction, motivation, development and
- retention of SOW’s team.
- Develop staffing strategies and implementation plans and programs to identify talent
- within and outside the organization for positions of responsibility.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization to be an effective listener and problem
- solver of people issues.
- Develop appropriate policies and programs for effective people management, including programs for employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, employee complaints, external education and career development, among others.
- Encore Fellow Development: Key Skills Requirements
- Successful track record (25 years+) in human resources, staff development, leadership coaching and strategy.
- Substantial experience in evaluating, developing and implementing organizational policies, systems and structures.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Significant coaching and mentoring experience.
- Accustomed to prioritizing, executing, and achieving results in lean environments; always
- ready to engage and lend a hand where needed.
- Thrives in a collaborative team focused environment while also working independently.
- A passion for the mission and organizational culture of School on Wheels.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in this role or know someone who fits these requirements, please contact Judy Bamberger, SVP Encore Fellows Program Manager at 818.807.3516 or by email at email@example.com. For more information about Encore Fellows program visit: https://encore.org/fellowships/