The Marketing Director is responsible for planning, development and implementation of all the Organization’s marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations activities. In this role, the Marketing Director will direct the efforts of the marketing, communications and public relations support teams and coordinate at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the Organization. This is a new position within the Organization.
The Marketing Director reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
This position participates with the Founder, Executive Director and other management staff in charting the direction of the Organization, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation.
Within the Organization, the position has primary working relationships with the Founder, Cookies Sales Lead, Grassroots Events lead, the senior management team, staff of the Marketing/Communications/PR function, and PR service providers. Outside the organization, the position coordinates, primarily, with the media.
Specific Job Duties
- Communications Vision, Strategy & Leadership
- Create an integrated communications plan to support brand awareness for the Organization and audience growth (incorporating Cookies’ website, email, and social media audiences). Included in that plan will be a primary focus of driving awareness of and engagement in “Good Cookie” Sales & Grassroots Events
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the Organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Serve as communications counselor to Cookies’ leadership
- Communications Operations
- PR team management, overseeing the Organization’s PR firm and its support of Cookies’ communications strategy
- Media relations, managing the organization’s relationships with existing media outlets and developing additional strategic media relationships that support the Organization’s goals and growth
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Cookies’ programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Leveraging the Organization’s Founder for Thought Leadership, securing her participation in strategic speaking events and conferences
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Team Development/Management
- Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Work closely with the Grassroots Events lead to direct efforts of the Grassroots Events Manager in communicating with Cookies’ email and direct mail audiences and on Cookies’ website
- Recommend additional marketing support staff and resources as needed to meet Cookies’ financial goals
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities that lead to financial and sales/fundraising growth
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills
- Experience developing and managing marketing budgets
- Experience hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising marketing/social media personnel
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print and digital materials and publications
- Digital literacy
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Minimum of 10 years experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success supporting brand sales/fundraising efforts
- Bachelors degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred
- Graduate degree in a related field is desirable
- Experience working with volunteers is desirable
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, well-loved organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is prepared to offer a very attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits. Salary range $85,000-100,000.
Minimum Education Required