POSITION TITLE: Director of Communications
REPORTS TO: Rural LISC: Vice President
LOCATION: Flexible Location, within the continental US
Job Classification: Exempt / Full Time
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $22 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East Coast to West Coast in 36 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Visit us at www.lisc.org
Rural LISC was established in 1995 and currently serves 92 partner organizations in 45 states and Puerto Rico, comprising a service area of more than 2,100 counties. Our mission statement captures our vision and approach:
Rural LISC believes in rural America. We are committed to providing support for our communities, making them good places to live, work, do business, innovate and raise families. We believe that nonprofit community organizations play an essential role in achieving this mission. Rural LISC is dedicated to building the capacity of these groups and increasing their production, by generating resources and investing in their work.
At Rural LISC we:
- Help deliver innovative, community-development driven solutions to challenges and opportunities facing Rural America;
- Invest in under-resourced places and people;
- Ensure successful implementation of community initiatives;
- Connect stakeholders and resources to rural communities; and
- Build resilient people and places through our programs, outreach and public policy leadership.
The Rural program of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks a dynamic, creative professional to fill the position of Director of Communications. The ideal candidate will have deep expertise in communications and marketing with high-level verbal, written, and design skills. The ideal candidate should have national communications, public relations, and campaign implementation experience for all media types including: digital, television, radio, and print. The position is full-time and reports to the Vice President of LISC and Director of Rural LISC. The candidate can be located anywhere within the continental U.S.
The Director of Communications is responsible for communicating the mission, value, and impact of Rural LISC to funders, policy makers, community partners, and other community development stakeholders, and raising the visibility of Rural LISC’s work by engaging Rural LISC’s audience across its website, social, and all other media forms. This role will collaborate with the One LISC national network and Rural LISC Communications team and other Rural LISC staff in developing overall communications, messaging, marketing, and branding activity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as part of the Rural LISC leadership team, working to develop, hone, and strengthen the overall communications and messaging strategy, including developing and/or coordinating corresponding communications collateral and outreach with various departments (internally and externally).
- Develop and strategize on PR opportunities that highlight key programs and investments, including cross-departmental national policy issues impacting rural communities, such as through helping to highlight key issues and develop: outreach strategies, op-eds, social media campaigns and strategic human interest stories.
- Develop, manage, and implement communications plans for projects/programs/events/funding announcements/social media campaigns across Rural LISC.
- Work with Rural LISC staff to develop and disseminate strategic communication pieces and marketing materials for key programs and/or events
- Assist with the coordination, development, and execution of special events such as the annual Rural Seminar, webinars, and awards/special recognition events
- Oversee staff and contractors to re-imagine, develop, and maintain the Rural LISC website and social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Update the Rural LISC website and work with the LISC National team as needed on developing and executing communication pieces and/or campaigns
- Manage communications, and corresponding budget, with consultants/contractors, including public relations firms, writers, photographers, and graphic designers.
- Manage design and production of presentations and publications such as slide decks, fact sheets, media kits, program brochures, articles, email news blasts, press releases etc.
- Develop quarterly board packets and ensure all reporting data/metrics are up to date and readily available for use by staff.
- Develop and/or strengthen Rural LISC design templates and corresponding collateral. Work with staff to ensure adherence to design guidelines.
- Proofread and act as a back-up producer of the monthly e-newsletter Rural eNews. Ensure integration of eNews into larger communications delivery system.
- Research and help write articles, opinion editorials, and profiles for the Rural LISC Director.
- Assist with research and writing associated with rural policy issues as needed.
- Proofread all communication pieces (articles, postings, proposals, emails and reports, etc.) as needed.
- Maintain and update the Rural LISC photo archive.
- Maintain and update multiple Rural LISC list serves.
- Manage content and design for annual report and/or any other strategic documents.
- Coordinate media relations through press releases and serve as alternative press contact with local media outlets, when appropriate.
- Coordinate with national LISC communications team, national policy team and district offices as needed.
- Assist the Rural Development Team on proposal development (writing and concept ideation) as needed
- Manage a small portfolio of CDCs and assist with grant management and follow-up as needed
- Assist with special projects on an as needed basis
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, English, or related field; Master’s degree in affiliated field (preferred); or equivalent combination of coursework and experience
- Minimum7 years of communications and marketing experience with at least two and a half years of experience in national marketing and communications campaign management and/or work with the non-profit sector.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills and editorial judgment – ability to create content for websites, policy and editorial pieces is essential.
- Excellent outreach abilities and a high level of comfort working with diverse organizations (both public and private)
- Knowledge of private and public funding sources, grant management and high-level project management skills are essential
- Self-starter and team-player comfortable managing multiple demands
- Extensive knowledge and experience in communication strategies and implementation.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively in written, verbal, personal, and presentation style formats with a wide variety of individuals.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills; experience working with individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, economic, social, and educational backgrounds; and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and collaborate with colleagues across functions and geography to design and implement communication strategies.
- Ability and capacity to manage multiple projects within deadlines. Must work well under pressure.
- Desire and ability to thrive in a virtual setting and as part of a virtual team – must enjoy being entrepreneurial
- Prioritization of a challenging workload, while employing a positive and solution-oriented approach is critical.
- Experience in supervising staff in an efficient manner.
- Position office location is flexible within the USA and will be discussed. Travel is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience in graphic design skills
- Experience in Adobe design software most importantly–InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience creating short animations and video editing a plus
- Keen interest in, and commitment to, the community development mission of LISC
To apply, please send cover letter and resume via e-mail to: email@example.com
*Ensure the Subject Line reads as follows: Director of Communications
LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits
No phone calls please.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE