Requisition ID: req790
Job Title: Sr. Director, Direct Marketing
Employment Category: Regular
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
IRC's Global Partnerships and Philanthropy (GPP) department is responsible for the global delivery of the International Rescue Committee's private sector resources (financially contributing circa USD200m per annum, as well as key partnerships and influence that support our mission), and plays an important strategic role in the creation of IRC's brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals.
The IRC's strategy centers on its ambition to continue to improve the scale and effectiveness of IRC programs worldwide with evidence of what works best to impact people's lives in conflict and fragile settings. GPP comprises colleagues and teams delivering marketing, account management, leadership gifts, board liaison, corporate partnerships, brand stewardship and communications to support this work. These colleagues are primarily located in the USA at present - but IRC plans to significantly expand its global fundraising footprint. Other colleagues within IRC are also deeply engaged with private funding & partners - in particular within Europe, US Resettlement and field programs - and we need to work in close integrated collaboration to ensure best use of resources and highest impact for IRC.
The Senior Director of Marketing will work in close partnership with the Vice President of Marketing and be part of the senior leadership team of Global Philanthropy and Partners. S/he will lead the development and delivery of IRC's USA marketing operation which will be rooted in building a best in class digital operation, and include brand centered marketing, direct response and supporter development, with a strong emphasis on emergency responsiveness. They will lead the transition of of our USA Marketing operation from a one-time donation model, to an expertly blended model of committed (monthly) donors as well as one-time
S/he will provide visionary leadership to fuel creative, dynamic and market sensitive operations and deliver rapid growth in supporter-based revenue from online and offline channels. At the heart of this operation will be a test, learn and optimize culture, driven by data based decision making. S/he will ensure that the USA Marketing Operation is deeply rooted in strong planning and target driven: with a close daily, weekly and monthly tracking of spend, results, and impact.
The Senior Director of Marketing serves as a member of the global GPP leadership team and shares leadership responsibility for the success of the IRC 2020 Private Sector Engagement (PSE) Strategy. S/he acts as the US lead on Marketing - and will be a critical driver of our ambitious digital goals.
Act as Senior Leader within Marketing:
- To act as Marketing lead representative in cross-divisional meetings to assist with problem solving, planning, strategy building and/or reporting.
- Assist with building strong active joint training & planning, collaboration, support & engagement with relevant colleagues
- As a member of the GPP Leadership team, support the planning and delivery of the PSE Strategy inside the team. Bring resilient, solutions focused and collegiate approaches to bear on decisions, shared challenges and opportunities.
- Take on special projects as assigned by Vice President
- Be an active champion for GPP and the PSE Strategy with stakeholder groups across IRC.
Leader of Direct Marketing - United States of America
- Lead and build a team of highly professional direct marketing fundraisers and supporter services representatives with focused channel strategies such as digital, direct mail, DIY, and telemarketing.
- Plan and oversee, along with the VP Marketing, recruitment, retention and upgrading plans grounded in best practices for low dollar, mid-level and monthly donors in the USA delivering strong ROI. Ensure that recruitment feeds long term value donors, planned giving and major gifts pipeline.
- Continually test and iterate recruitment, engagement (that leads to conversion) and retention tactics across the digital/direct response mix to maximize engagement and fundraising in the USA. Adjust campaigns and tactics to reach strategic goals.
- Act as a lead champion and driver of IRC's plans to enhance and increase its emergency fundraising response and capacity.
- Work closely with Director, Marketing Analytics to continually monitor results and adjust strategies to maximize revenue. Support VP Marketing in making recommendations to IRC senior management for additional investments.
- Together with VP Marketing and Senior Director, Marketing Analytics, prepare annual budget and quarterly reforecasts.
- Partner closely with Senior Director, International Digital to provide direct marketing customer service support globally.
- Oversee recruitment of digital and direct mail consulting firms. Manage strategy with team with our marketing firms to ensure that the IRC's programs receive high level attention and top notch service.
- Oversee efforts to ensure that donors in the US receive a highly optimized digital experience through the point of transaction and that the Supporter Marketing and Supporter Services work closely with Marketing Analytics to develop a seamless progression into stewardship and cultivation.
- Support and deliver the frameworks and ways of working that create best support for high quality continual creative and digital innovation.
- To work with the Senior Director, Marketing Analytics in instituting and fine-tuning of self-sufficiency reporting among DMUSA staff
- Working with the creative and brand teams ensuring IRC is delivering strong content with measurable outcomes and testing strategizes to improve performance
- Support on campaigns with Corporate brands, recent partners include: TripAdvisor, Airbnb, Google and Game of Thrones (HBO)
- Provide clear metrics and returns to build strong growth investment business case.
- Act as team leader with creation of budgets and projections, as well as monitor budgets to ensure we are accurate
- Manage the USA Direct Marketing team with commitment, integrity and accountability to the "IRC Way" - IRC Global Standards for Professional Conduct
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Vice President, Marketing
Position directly supervises: Team of about 10 - 12 colleagues with 5 direct
Education: Bachelor Degree
- 12+ years of work experience in modern high-performance marketing, with proven track record of income growth.
- Digital fundraising and marketing experience essential.
- Experience of driving a committed/monthly donor in USA highly desirable
- Experience of delivering emergency fundraising highly desirable
- Understanding of the US fundraising marketplace
- Proven ability using analytics to inform and influence decision-making
Demonstrated Skill and Competencies:
- US experience in digital marketing in the following areas:
- Online donor acquisition and retention - specifically with sustainers (monthly) donors and mid-level donors
- Management of a US media buying agency
- Analytics set-up and monitoring
- Search and display marketing
- Social media marketing
- Monthly/committed giving
- Ability to identify unmet market needs and create/execute marketing strategies
- Creates and owns business metrics and goals to determine what will move the needle
- Proven success in direct to consumer marketing / ecommerce marketing
- Rigorous and critical thinker, able to ask probing clear questions and drive toward solutions quickly
- Predisposition toward simple and practical solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills, collegial and collaborative, high energy, good humored and creative leader
- Strong resilience and change management skills - with experience of leading a rapid growth program, and the challenges that come with rapid growth
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Minimum Education Required