District of Columbia
POSITION: National Development Director
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. (preferred), New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles
REPORTS TO: Chief Development Officer
SUPERVISES: Foundation Relations Manager; Development Coordinator
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
Founded in 1998, LIFT is a national nonprofit that empowers families to break the cycle of poverty. We operate program sites in four major cities – Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C. – where we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need to achieve greater economic security and well-being. We believe that by investing in families during children’s earliest years, we can break the cycle of intergenerational poverty. To learn more, visit www.liftcommunities.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. Having recently launched a new four-year strategic plan, we are expanding our team. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
This is an exciting opportunity for a proven development professional with strong people and change management skills to strengthen fundraisers at a growing nonprofit. Reporting to – and partnering closely with – the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Development Director will be charged with leading the national development team, supporting regional fundraisers as the manager of the development shared service, and serving as a frontline fundraiser.
AS NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, YOU WILL:
- Lead a high-performing team of fundraising professionals dedicated to ensuring LIFT achieves national and regional financial targets
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the development department
- Manage the development shared service, through which a centralized development team is responsible for providing regional development support, with a focus on regional sustainability
- Serve as a critical thought-partner and strategist for frontline fundraisers and executives, including the CEO, CDO, Executive Directors and members of the National Board and regional boards
- Manage and increase a portfolio of critical national donors and prospects
- Partner with key stakeholders to build and continuously improve fundraising systems and shared services for greater efficiency and efficacy
- Model excellent customer service and coach the development team to provide similar outstanding, responsive client support to external staff and fundraisers
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- You have at least 5 years of fundraising experience, ideally across a wide variety of activities, including donor cultivation, portfolio management, sponsorship sales, grant writing, and event planning
- You have at least 3 years of management experience
- You have experience and interest in building and strengthening fundraising systems
- You have experience as a strategist and trusted adviser to senior executives
- Experience with direct service and/or anti-poverty programming is preferred
- You are an experienced user of Salesforce, or similar systems
- Bachelor’s degree required
In addition to a competitive annual salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified individuals, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name and the position title in the subject line.