iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students in low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors one-on-one, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success. In New York City, Chicago, and the Bay Area, iMentor partners with public schools to ensure every student in the schools receives a mentor. Since 2007, iMentor has been working in partnership with other organizations to deliver the iMentor program across different communities through Partner Programs. iMentor also provides its curriculum, technology, and best practices to help nonprofits run effective programs in the iMentor model. Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 25,000 students with mentors and this year, iMentor is serving nearly 9,000 students across the country.
Entering this next five-year strategic plan, iMentor is focusing on growth and improvement, launching widespread impact strategies, financial sustainability, and deepening its diversity & equity work. Building on its track record of success supporting first-generation college students, iMentor is committed to leveraging its resources and stature to not only deepen impact programmatically, but to challenge the structures that fuel inequity and make this work necessary.
iMentor has been recognized through funding from many of the leading education funders in the country, including the Ballmer Group, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, the Bezos Family Foundation, New Profit Inc., and the Kresge Foundation. iMentor is one of the nation’s most innovative and quickly growing college success organizations. As a team, we are collaborative, fun, bring passion and joy to our work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by Opportunity Knocks and The Nonprofit Times. Read more about our work and values at: http://www.imentor.org.
iMentor is seeking an inspirational senior leader, people manager and program strategist to lead its Partner Programs Team. The Executive Director, National Partnerships (EDNP) will ensure that partners who are dedicated to impacting college outcomes for first-generation college students through the iMentor model have the robust support, tools and resources necessary to be successful. Partner Programs encompasses the innovative training and technical assistance model that iMentor launched more than 12 years ago. We believe that every student deserves a champion and through Partner Programs, we work strategically with partner organizations to scale our post-secondary success mentoring model. In FY19, Partner Programs with grow to work with 16+ organizations and serve more than 3,000 mentor-mentee pairs. The EDNP is tasked with ensuring that the partner community continues to grow and reach more students across diverse communities.
Reporting to iMentor’s national CRO (Chief Regional Officer), Adeola Whitney, the EDNP will set and implement the strategic vision for iMentor’s work across existing partners and work toward obtaining 27 partnerships by the end of a 5-year strategic plan, while leading a high-performing team of professionals. They will build team capacity to effectively support partners in implementing new programmatic initiatives from our National Program Team, assessing and addressing implementation challenges to define strategies that optimize program quality, increase partner impact and deepen pair relationships.
The ideal EDNP candidate is a motivational and effective leader able to set and drive progress towards ambitious goals. They will be skilled in business development or fundraising, partnership outreach, management, program implementation, and relationship building. In this role, they will have the exciting opportunity to enhance Partner Programs and redefine its vision across the organization and partners. They will be forward-thinking, analytical, highly collaborative, and have a proven track record of establishing buy-in across stakeholders and influencing diverse groups of individuals and networks to achieve desired outcomes.
Partner Retention and Stewardship
- Set and meet annual partner retention targets to support the growth of Partner Programs nationally.
- Ensure the ongoing engagement strategy and stewardship of an ever-growing portfolio of influential partner organizations.
- Proactively support and anticipate needs of C-level and high-level partner staff, providing thought partnership on strategies to achieve maximum social and business impact.
- Lead team in creation of program implementation tools and translation of internal content into partner-facing resources.
- Travel to partner sites to cultivate partner relationships and observe partner program implementation and trainings facilitated by Partner Programs staff.
- Lead data-driven analysis and evaluation strategies to maximize impact of team and to guide trainings and resources that support the development of strong program implementation across partners.
- Collaborate with partner leaders to strategize and align on solutions to challenges that impact the broader organization and our partnerships.
Leadership and Internal Collaboration
- Lead an exceptional team of full-time Program Managers and Associate Director to achieve programmatic and growth outcomes.
- Work with the CRO to cultivate internal and external talent and build the staffing structure required for the long term success of the team.
- Foster a highly effective work culture with strong leadership development to all staff through quality coaching and feedback.
- Manage the team towards ambitious goals, using data-driven decision making to monitor and address problems, improve performance and increase sustainability.
- Serve as Partner Programs liaison within the organization and on the National Leadership Team to represent the best interest of partners and to integrate learnings from partner sites to help continually improve program impact.
Business Development, Growth and Expansion
- Execute innovative strategies to grow the number of partners implementing the iMentor program across the nation, including prospecting and outreach.
- Refine business development plan and cost structure analysis to enable Partner Programs to reach financial break-even by the end of current 5-year strategic plan.
- Develop and implement a three to five-year growth strategy that aligns with the national strategic plan, scaling the program to serve 27 partners annually by 2023.
- Lead efforts to elevate the profile of Partner Programs both externally and internally, acting as the “face” of the region.
- Develop and implement new partnership models in order to diversify partnerships and accelerate growth.
- 8+ years of combined experience in a management or senior-level role within an education nonprofit organization, school district, foundation, government agency, or for-profit organization; fundraising experience a plus.
- 5+ years managing and operating a layered team across one or multiple cities. Experience managing, mentoring, and inspiring a high performing team to reach ambitious goals.
- 2 + years of experience in business development with proven track record of cultivating national partnerships or strategic fundraising; experience running a fee for service or social enterprise model is a plus.
- Demonstrated success designing and executing high-level strategic partnerships and program strategy across diverse settings; a strong preference for experience working with historically under-served youth and under-resourced communities.
- Superior networking, business-to-business relationship development, and interpersonal skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, resourceful and persistent with demonstrated success managing shifting priorities.
- Ability to create buy-in to work toward programmatic outcomes across multiple stakeholders; exceptional customer service orientation in working with partners.
- Demonstrated ability to advise, work with and coach C-level and high-level individuals
- Displays cultural attunement in prospecting and cultivating new partners with an aptitude and knowledge to guide stakeholders toward building diverse, equitable and inclusive programming.
- Knowledge of and relationships within educational, civic, philanthropic, and political landscapes.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills with the ability to use data, identifying patterns and performance metrics to create targeted strategies and management support.
- Excellent communicator at a variety of levels; exceptional presentation skills and the ability to manage by influence, train and coach across wide range of audiences.
- Able to travel nationally, up to ten 2-3 day trips/year.
- The ability to critically assess challenges and identify effective solutions.
- Aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values (http://www.imentor.org/values)
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within iMentor.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays + most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so it is in candidates’ best interest to apply as soon as possible. No phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer