Full Time Contract
Details: Compensation will be determined based on experience.
PO Box #39,
Position: Program Director
Type: Full Time, minimum 2 Year, Independent Contractor
Position Location: Gatagara, Rwanda, Southern Province
Program Location: Gatagara, Rwanda (90 minutes outside of Kigali)
Start Date: May 2018
Promote gender equity through sport and the Olympic Values in post genocide impacted countries.
Build a global community in which the power of sport enables boys and girls to positively challenge and shift gender, social and cultural norms that reinforce gender inequality
Kids Play International (KPI) has been working in a rural community in Rwanda called Gatagara since 2010 and is primarily working towards reducing negative gender stereotypes and improving the leadership skills of women and girls so they can forge their own paths. Both our Let’s Play Fair, Community Days and new All Girls United programs methodically encourage both girls and boys to challenge harmful gender stereotypes; and they help girls find their voices in order to transcend restrictive conceptions of femininity, become confident leaders and self-advocates, and ultimately attain better educational, employment, and healthy living outcomes.
KPI is working to continue the transition of the day-to-day operations of our programs to the local coaching staff in Rwanda. Additionally, creating a replicable program model and gender sensitive foundational workshops that will enable us to deepen our impact and expand our reach in the years to come.
The Program Director’s (PD) main responsibility is providing strategic leadership and oversight of KPI’s programs including Let’s Play Fair, All Girls United and Community Day. Additionally, the PD will help expand KPI’s scope through facilitating gender sensitive foundational workshops to other Rwandan-based organizations to either help with their own programs or to those who would like to implement our Let’s Play Fair program. The PD is responsible for managing, providing feedback and professional development trainings to all KPI Staff; Fellow, Programs Coordinator and all coaches. In addition, the PD will collect and analyze program data to inform programmatic changes and to ensure that the programs’ curricula aligns with the organization's mission and supports the organization's logic model goals and outcomes. The PD will cultivate strategic in-country program partnerships, write quarterly program reports, manage and ensure awarded grant proposal activities are met, and provide strategic direction and recommendations for long term program development and model replication.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee high quality program implementation of sports-based youth development programs.
- Manage Programs Fellow, Programs Coordinator and Coaches.
- Design and implement professional development trainings for Coaches on a regular basis.
- Ensure all qualitative and quantitative data is collected, analyzed and used for program improvement on a regular basis according to KPI’s program evaluation framework.
- Manage and support Programs Fellow in the development of program curriculum, planning and executing 3 large-scale events each year and planning and implementing KPI’s marketing and communications strategy.
- Maintain strong relationships with 3 partner schools and local government officials.
- Ensure there are strong policies and procedures in place to support functional infrastructure and staff.
- Oversee the building of an indoor multi-sport activity center.
- Coordinate with the Program Coordinator and local businesses to ensure the guesthouse and field are being properly maintained.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with a wide variety of partners including local implementing partners, individual donors, government agencies, corporations and multi-lateral agencies in order to develop programming partnerships and funding opportunities with like minded local organizations.
- Organize and implement trainings for other Rwandan-based organizations with the goal of them implementing their own LPF program.
- Coordinate volunteer trips from the U.S. to Rwanda.
- Bachelor's degree in a related subject area: Sport for Development, Women’s Studies, Physical Education, Recreational Studies or similar
- Deep belief in and understanding of gender equity and sport as a tool for gender equity
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead, delegate and inspire team members
- Strong staff management skills
- Excellent ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- 3 years of experience working in the nonprofit field preferred
- Overseas working/volunteering experience (preferably in Africa)
- Strong report writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge of international program management, and experience analyzing, providing insight, support and direction to ensure continued program progress
- Excellent ability to Communicate with Founder and other US based staff on a weekly basis.
- Ability to be a self-starter, team builder and demonstrate the capacity for maintaining high professional standards
- Experience developing and/or facilitating curriculum based trainings
- Ability to live and adapt to different cultures and environments, and willingness stay in a rural village/setting.
- Proficiency in standard computing applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint,etc)
Visit our website: www.kidsplayintl.org to learn more.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Position will be hired as an independent contractor and compensation will be determined based on experience. Additional benefits include:
- Programmatic related internet, transportation and phone expenses
- Room is covered at the Guesthouse
- 1 Round Trip Flight / year of work
Level of Language Proficiency
FRENCH - MODERATE TO FLUENT IS HELPFUL
KINYARWANDA- NOT NECESSARY BUT HELPFUL
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How To Apply:
All candidates should email a cover letter describing their interest and qualifications and a current resume to: email@example.com. Please include “KPI Program Director” in the subject line.
NOTE: Please also include two writing samples; one report that you have written and another that outlines curriculum/workshop that you have designed and delivered.