610 S. Ardmore Avenue
Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel’s programmatic areas include Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Law, Early Care and Education, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, and Veteran’s Advocacy. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 120. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Created in 2009, Public Counsel’s Center for Veterans’ Advancement (CVA) is driven by the core principle of “upholding our nation’s promise to veterans and their families.” CVA provides legal services to help stabilize the living situation of veterans and their families, including representation of veterans and their families before state and federal courts and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In addition to providing direct representation, the CVA works to effect systemic policy change in order to help veterans and their caregivers overcome or escape homelessness, poverty, and loss of quality of life.
The Directing Attorney will work with the President/CEO and other firm leadership to determine the strategic direction of the CVA and oversee its implementation. The Directing Attorney will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Center for Veterans Advancement, including assistance with VA benefits, tickets, warrants, expungements, and other legal issues encountered by veterans. In addition, the Directing Attorney will represent veterans and veteran caregivers seeking assistance to access benefits and services to which they are entitled, and will supervise and train CVA staff and volunteers to provide similar services to veterans and veteran caregivers. The Directing Attorney will also be responsible for directing policy efforts on issues affecting veterans. The Directing Attorney will work with Public Counsel’s Development Department to assist with fundraising to sustain CVA’s work, and will coordinate with other Projects within Public Counsel to arrange for holistic services for those veterans who may be homeless, immigrants, victims of consumer scams, or otherwise need services provided by our other Projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of California, or admitted and in good standing in another state and willing to become admitted in California;
- At least 10 years of experience with legal issues facing people with disabilities, people who are homeless, trauma survivors, or other vulnerable populations.
- Experience with disability benefits required. Experience working with veterans and VA benefits preferred;
- Experience supervising teams of lawyers and others, including experience with training and professional development of supervisees;
- A commitment to economic and racial justice;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to travel to remote locations throughout Southern California as needed for veterans clinics and stand-downs;
- Strong interpersonal, management and organizational skills;
- Ability to work productively with coalitions, working groups and volunteers.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume (if by email, include the words “CVA Application” in the subject line) to:
610 South Ardmore Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90005
No phone calls please.
Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.