Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports to: Co-Director of Programs & Policy
Status: Temporary Full time, Non-exempt hourly
Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
About Transgender Law Center and Positively Trans:
Transgender Law Center works to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression. We are looking for an energetic, motivated, and mission-oriented Program Associate to support Positively Trans, a national program focused on empowering trans and gender non-conforming people living with HIV (TPLHIV) to advocate for a trans-inclusive, comprehensive political response to the HIV epidemic in their local communities, at the regional level, and on the national stage.
In the first 18 months of the project, Positively Trans convened a National Advisory Board made up primarily of trans women of color living with HIV, developed and distributed a national needs assessment survey, analyzed needs assessment results and published an initial report, planned the release of two additional reports, and produced 13 digital stories to complement the quantitative survey results.
The Program Associate will join a team of passionate, smart, and dedicated individuals who work hard, laugh easily, and are eager to learn and grow together as we change the world. This position reports to the Co-Director of Programs and Policy. The position is based in Oakland, California. This is a full-time, temporary position, with likely possibility to extend, depending on funding renewal in March 2019.
- Support the coordination of presentations and travel for National Advisory Board meetings and key conferences
- Coordinate administration of community needs assessment survey in 3-4 cities, including revising national needs assessment instrument in SurveyMonkey;
- Coordinate scheduling, recruitment, and logistics for digital storytelling workshops in multiple cities
- Support National Advisory Board members in dissemination of needs assessment results and local organizing efforts;
- Support Co-Director of Programs and Policy in preparing presentation materials for issue briefings with policymakers and funders;
- Maintain program records, including expenses, and grant reporting deadlines, and stakeholder contact information;
- Perform administrative functions such as making check requests, staff reimbursements, credit cards reconciliations, etc.
- Draft and edit reports and community educational materials and peer-reviewed journals;
- Attend program meetings;
- Provide policy research assistance as needed;
- Develop and maintain regular communications with Positively Trans members;
- Track project deliverables to ensure project meets funder’s deliverables;
- Execute grant deliverables in coordination with Program Coordinator;
- Organize and maintain share folders and files on cloud drives to adhere to the current office filing system;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Demonstrated experience with event management
- Demonstrated experience in community-based research, public health, public policy, and/or project management
- Demonstrated cultural competence in working with trans and gender non-conforming communities, particularly trans women of color
- Demonstrated ability to stay organized while managing multiple projects
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications
- Ability to travel a minimum of 4-6 times per year
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to work in a team
- Strong level of emotional intelligence and sense of humor
- Cultural competence working with people living with HIV/AIDS
- Deep understanding of cultural humility
- Experience in community-based research, public health, public policy, and/or project management
- Meeting facilitation/non-violent communication/conflict mediation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (or other language)
Benefits include vacation, holidays, full medical, dental, and vision benefits, matched pre-tax retirement savings, and eligibility to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account (FSA).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online at the link above. We cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. People of color, people living with HIV/AIDS, women, people with disabilities, and people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply. Transgender Law Center will provide, excepting any undue hardship, reasonable accommodations upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.