Assistant Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa (Job #1833)
- Job posted by National Endowment for Democracy
1025 "F" Street, NW
National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Assistant Program Officer (APO) will assist with the management, administration, development and expansion of grant programs in the MENA region. In addition, the APO will support existing grantees and develop prospective grantees.
· Assist in the evaluation of project proposals.
· Draft summaries of proposals to present at quarterly board meetings.
· Communicate regularly with existing grantees, often in Arabic.
· Assist in monitoring the work of existing grantees, including review and analysis of any publications or other products.
· Track political developments in the MENA region.
· Help organize events to highlight specific democracy-related issues in coordination with the other MENA program members.
· Travel to the region as needed, and occasionally under difficult conditions, to identify and work with potential new grantees and existing grantees.
Master’s level education or equivalent knowledge in international affairs, politics, or a related discipline is required.
At least 3 years of experience in democracy-related work is required.
Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic are required.
Proficiency in French or other relevant languages of the region is preferred, but not required.
Proficiency with MS Office is required.
· Other Qualifications:
Field experience with NGOs in one or more MENA countries is preferred.
Knowledge of political issues and trends in the MENA region.
Regional knowledge of Iraq is a plus.
Authorized to work in the United States.
Ability to travel to Iraq as needed.
High degree of organization and initiative.
Experience in grant-making and democratic development is desirable.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Job #1833 – APO, MENA - YOUR NAME in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries.
NED Careers page: http://www.ned.org/about/jobs
NED Employment Application form: www.ned.org/NED-Full-Employment-Application.pdf