The Covenant House Senior Social Worker for the Mental Health Day program is a member of the Mental Health Team reporting to the Psychologist. The Senior Social Worker for the Mental Health Day Program will provide programming for "runaway and homeless" young adults, aged 16-25, living in Covenant House New York (CHNY) Shelter program in Mid-Town Manhattan as well as our transitional living (ROP) sites in the Bronx. The Shelter program currently provides residence for 120 young adults and the ROP programs which will comprise approximately six (6) congregate sites and 67 youth (at a point in time) in the scattered site, subsidized apartments. In addition to the responsibility of developing and implementing mental health programming, this position requires independent judgment and proactivity. Maintaining a strong departmental culture that is client-centered, outcome-oriented, data-driven, and dedicated to continuous quality improvement; the Senior Social Worker for the Mental Health Day Program is an energetic, creative, and a diligent leader.
Finally, the Senior Social Worker for the Mental Health Day Program will work with the case management staff and participate in interdisciplinary team meetings to develop and implement treatment plans for clients with history of mental health illness. This position will identify Supportive Housing opportunities and assist clients with housing application, and other applicable benefits i.e. SSI, SSDI, TANF etc. The Senior Social Worker for the Mental Health Day Program will ensure the treatment and aftercare of clients by linking them to resources in the community that they will ultimately be residing in.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, interest in and ability to collaborate with a wide variety of staff in other departments
- An ability to proactively develop new programs and protocols and see them through to successful implementation
- Ensures programmatic compliance with regulatory agencies and other requirements.
- Ensures and/or conducts dry audits of programs and takes a lead role in live audits with funders and other regulatory bodies.
- Collaborate with performance measurement and compliance staff to determine programmatic goals and metrics for the Mental Health Day program; assisting in refining a mental health manual and policies to meet the specific needs of the site.
- Develop an agency-wide resource guide of Supportive Housing placements and NY State Benefits
- Develop and deliver training to program personnel about identifying and treating mental illness in clients.
- Design activities and group session that support Psychoeducational learning
- Work closely with a team of Case Managers, Social Workers, and the Clinical Administrator to ensure that an integrated approach to the provision of Mental Health Service activities
- Assist clients with Supportive Housing Applications and ensure clients are placed in suitable housing programs
- Integrate evidence-based programs such as; Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on alcohol and illicit drugs-Covenant House will provide training. Integrate evidence-based treatments such as; Trauma-focused CBT that addresses emotional and behavioral difficulties associated with single, multiple and complex-trauma experiences.
- Maintains consistent communication across programs to ensure coordination and optimization of therapeutic services for each youth
- Effectively utilizes data and information systems to evaluate programs and inform decision making and development of performance strategies
- Facilitate psycho-educational, process and experiential groups with clients as scheduled
- Establish an individualized intervention/treatment plan or strategy to promote identified goals
- Provide advocacy and linkage for residents in regard to Mental Health services and aftercare services
- Maintain required documentation in EMR database (ECW) and update clients records in accordance with governmental and agency policy
- Use motivational interviewing, stages of change and seeking safety modalities to counsel clients to improve overall functioning
- Attend weekly treatment team meetings, staff meetings, and clinical supervision as scheduled
- Manage and support staff in fulfilling their job duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Licensed Master Social Worker required.
- LMSW must be actively pursuing LCSW designation and must achieve such designation within 3 years of the hire date
- Provider must be eligible to bill NYS Medicaid for services, either directly or under qualifying supervision in pursuit of licensed clinical social work status by State Education Department
- Provider must provide documentation annually to Human Resources reflecting the pursuit of LCSW designation
- A minimum of two (2) years' experience working with mentally ill, medically frail, homeless or special needs population required
- Knowledge of human service delivery systems, residential care, and resources for the youth population
- Strong managerial and supervisory skills required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent leadership/management skills
- Experience working with youth with complex needs
Holiday, Vacation, Sick time, Medical, Dental, 403B
Minimum Education Required