What is the California College Guidance Initiative?
The California College Guidance Initiative (CCGI) is a statewide effort to ensure that all 6th through 12th grade students in California get the guidance they need to plan, prepare and pay for college.
The Initiative combines a web-based platform, CaliforniaColleges.edu, with district-wide partnerships to ensure that students, counselors, and other supportive adults have access to a consistent source of information as well as the tools and data necessary to help a student plan for college and career.
The Initiative includes the following components:
- Management and ongoing development of CaliforniaColleges.edu.
- Day to day management of the platform to ensure accuracy and usability.
- Integration with the California Community College and California State University systems as well as other systems and institutions relevant to increasing successful preparation for and completion of a postsecondary degree.
- Deep partnerships with K-12 school districts to ensure:
- Systematic integration and utilization of the platform and associated materials.
- Data auditing, cleansing, and alignment to ensure accurately informed student accounts which serve as the basis for monitoring postsecondary eligibility in K-12, as well as application to and placement in an increasing number of postsecondary systems.
CCGI is a virtual organization with a central office located within the Foundation for California Community Colleges (FCCC) in Sacramento. Most staff work remotely/telecommute from locations across California.
The User Support Specialist is a member of the CaliforniaColleges.edu Platform team responsible for supporting external users of CaliforniaColleges.edu, also referred to as the Platform. User Support to our educational partners and students is of utmost importance and the specialist is on the front line in providing customer service and technical related support.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
• Identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving user issues.
• Provide timely, accurate, and professional answers to users of the platform, including demonstrating appropriate sense of urgency.
• Demonstrate consistent, clear, and polite written and verbal communication with users.
• Perform thorough investigation of issues that users report.
• Communicate trends in user needs to CCGI leadership by routinely reviewing user case reporting, including suggesting innovative solutions to those needs.
• Maintain records of user support requests via Salesforce.
• Maintain and create documentation (e.g. protocol, FAQ, etc.) about the user support process, as needed.
• Develop and facilitate virtual webinars and occasional in-person training of users.
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience working with K-12 educators is ideal (e.g. teachers, counselors, administrators, etc.).
• Experience supporting users via phone, email, chat, and/or in-person.
• Experience working remotely/telecommuting.
• Passion for user support/customer service and ownership of the customer experience including comprehensive issue resolution.
• Able to effectively tailor communication and style to different audiences.
Skills and Knowledge
• Technology lover: True passion for technology. Enjoy learning new technologies and teaching others.
• Problem-solver: Can troubleshoot and investigate technical issues. Can make decisions about next steps to solve the issues.
• People person: Easily connect with people. Are adept at empathizing with people who are frustrated and struggling with a problem. Willing to talk to people in-person and on the phone, not solely via email. Ability to build relationships with users.
• Great communicator: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Are a master at providing guidance and knowledge. Effortlessly explaining step by step solutions with patience.
• Organizer: Strong organizational, project, and time management skills. Ability to manage own tasks and deadlines in an electronic format.
• Adaptable: Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
• Strong command of Microsoft Office suite of tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Previous experience with CRMs or Customer Service Software (e.g. Salesforce, Zoho Desk, Zendesk) is highly preferred.
• A passion for educational equity.
Schedule and Travel Requirements:
• This position is full time.
• This position will involve mostly remote/telecommuting work as well as some in-person work with CCGI team members and users.
• Up to 10% overnight travel in different parts of California.
• Ability to work at a computer workstation for periods up to 4 hours at a time and for up to 8 hours per day for up to five consecutive days.
• Ability to speak on the telephone or computer for a total of up to 5 hours per day.
• Ability to sit for up to 3 hours without breaks at meetings.
• Ability to lift and move a minimum of 10 pounds
The excellent benefits package currently includes paid holiday, sick, and vacation leave; medical, dental, and vision
insurance and more; along with a generous defined benefit retirement plan (California Public
Employee Retirement System – CalPERS).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please submit a letter of interest and resume saved as Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx) or Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf). Please include in the subject line: “User Support Speciaist”. The application process will be open until the position is filled.
The Foundation for California Community Colleges provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Foundation for California Community Colleges complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.