We the People Public Charter High School (WTP) is a brand new, innovative public high school launching in Long Beach in the Fall 2019. We will serve 100 9th grade students in the first year of operation, growing to 500 students in grades 9-12 by 2022.
Our mission is to empower the next generation of American and world leaders with the knowledge, practice, and tools to radically change the world for the better. We intend to empower students with the skills and strategies to advocate with and for their communities. At WTP, local, national and global issues become the substance of learning where students will be apprenticed by expert teachers and community members to engage, investigate, and act to solve some of the most pressing issues of our time. Students will embrace challenges, take risks, and become courageous change-makers who can shape the future of our democracy.
This is where you come in. WTP is looking for a Founding Director of Operations who, as WTP’s second team member, will work closely with the Founder/Executive Director to establish operational systems for the school. This person will be the operational leader of We the People, responsible for ensuring that the non-instructional aspects of the school run smoothly so WTP can get off to a strong start.
We the People is slated to open its doors to students in Fall 2019, so the Founding Director of Operations will have a full academic year to prepare. In the 2018-19 school year (“Year Zero”), the Director of Operations will lead critical start-up work in facilities acquisition, student recruitment and enrollment, and launch operational systems that will allow the school to run like clockwork once it opens.
Founding a school is hard work, and we are looking for an entrepreneurial, systems-minded, get-stuff-done kind of person who wants to roll up his/her sleeves and help bring We the People’s vision into reality.
School Start-Up and Launch
Project manage all school start-up tasks related to facilities, enrollment, budgeting, and hiring in partnership with the Executive Director, including:
- Serve as the project manager for facilities acquisition and renovation/tenant improvements in partnership with external consultants
- Work with Executive Director to coordinate parent information sessions, student pop-up programming, and community engagement
- Manage student recruitment and enrollment operations, including outreach, applications, lotteries, and the enrollment process to ensure the school opens fully enrolled
- Lead student recruitment outreach efforts to ensure that WTP meets its enrollment targets and opens fully enrolled
School Operations, Leadership & Compliance
Serve as a member of We The People's leadership team, working with the Executive Director to establish organizational priorities, goals, culture, core values, and instructional vision, and ensuring that they are implemented effectively. Lead the non-instructional side of We the People, ensuring that teachers can focus on instruction and students can focus on learning; provide exceptional customer service toward all stakeholders: teachers, students, families, and the community. Responsibilities include:
- Create and maintain systems to ensure that We the People operates effectively and in compliance with applicable law, including:
- Student information system and student records
- Student safety, emergency preparedness, and risk management
- School nutrition program
- IT systems
- Human resources, payroll, and benefits
- Lead logistics for special events, such as orientations, parent nights, field trips, recruitment events, and in-school fundraisers.
- Monitor compliance with federal, state, local, district policies, procedures, directions and update organizational policies and procedures as needed to remain in compliance.
- Serve as Facilities Lead, managing custodial staff & facility contractors, ensuring facilities are clean and properly maintained, and establishing and maintaining a maintenance ticketing system.
- Manage a small team of operations staff, including the administrative assistant and custodial staff.
- Project manage the application process for district facilities, collecting signatures and preparing the application.
Finance & Accounting
- Manage WTP’s financial and accounting systems in partnership with the school’s back office service provider; ensure that WTP remains in compliance with its board-approved fiscal policies & procedures.
- Create, maintain, and update systems for daily financial and business activities, including timely and accurate bookkeeping and reconciliations, cash management, accounts payable and receivable, purchasing, and asset management.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and the school’s back office service provider, develop WTP’s annual school budget; actively manage the school budget throughout the year.
We the People offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The ideal start date for this role is September 1, 2018.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least four years of work experience; business or operations management and work in a K-12 school setting are both desirable
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel, as well as the ability to quickly learn new systems
- Excellent project management skills
- Entrepreneurial, with the desire to build something new
- Strong initiative to identify problems and propose solutions
- Comfort with financial oversight and budgetary tracking
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Strong commitment and passion for We the People’s mission and values
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email both a resume and cover letter to Anita Ravi at email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so if you’re interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as a school that intends to serve a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.