ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education’s research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visit www.ELeducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting to a Senior Director of Schools, the Regional Director, manages a team of 3-5 EL Education coaches to build and maintain impactful school and district partnerships aligned to EL Education’s organizational goals. The role revolves around building and supporting a team to deepen EL Education’s impact and reach within the region of Colorado through partnership development, quality oversight and portfolio management. This position is a shared leadership opportunity in that a regional director currently guides Colorado and a cohort of schools in Utah. A second regional director is sought to lead 50% of the portfolio in this growing region. Regional Directors manage a portfolio of partnerships including multiple types of school relationships (new school start-up, school transformation, district- and school-level curriculum implementation partnerships). Additionally, the Regional Director allocates and leverages organizational resources to reach school and district performance goals while developing and supervising a team of instructional leadership coaches to drive exceptional results for EL partners.
Travel: 50% on average (examples of travel may include: in-person meetings with potential school/district partners, internal team/regional meetings, internal leadership meetings with colleagues, customer/partner events, select industry conferences to promote EL Education’s awareness, annual EL Education National Conference and EL Education annual staff gathering). A majority of travel for this position would be to sites with the region of Colorado and Utah.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
Regional Management and Oversight
● Strategically and actively manage a portfolio of 20-25 network school partnerships, 5-10 curriculum implementation partnerships and collaborate with national curriculum implementation team in support of a school-level partnership to ensure consistency of impact and quality of services through the ongoing use of evidence and feedback
● Oversee and ensure partners generate and follow-through on annual school improvement cycles including work plan development, midyear review and end-of-year review and strategic planning
● Ensure that high-quality, impactful instructional leadership, professional development and coaching services are provided to each partner by EL Education staff
● Allocate and manage financial and human resources including staff time to meet or exceed regional performance and revenue goals
Partnership Development and Portfolio Management
● In collaboration with a Senior Director of Schools and the existing Regional Director, proactively pursue growth in all EL Education service lines including Network School and Curriculum Implementation Partnerships in alignment with regional and national strategy
● Evaluate success conditions and identify new partners through EL Education’s partnership development process including new school start-ups, school transformation and collaboration in district-wide curriculum implementation partnerships
● Actively monitor progress of partners through frequent site visits, field collaboration, and participation in key mid-year and end-of-year reviews, and dialogue and data review with coaches regarding impact and success conditions
● Assess progress of each partner and formulate strategies for improvement in an annual portfolio review cycle
● Intervene as needed to address barriers to impact, implementation and positive success conditions
Performance Management and Talent Development
● Recruit, support, supervise and retain a diverse team of regional coaches
● Develop a strong sense of team, common mission, and Esprit d’Corps across a diverse set of coaches
● Determine annual coach assignments, in collaboration with current Regional Director, aligned to partner needs and coach strengths
● Provide differentiated coaching to regional staff and ensure each coach is developing new skills to effectively serve partners
● Actively manage team member performance through, active engagement in the field, frequent feedback opportunities and formally through the annual goal setting and evaluation cycle
● Ensure ongoing talent management, bench building and career development across team
● Collaborate with Senior Director and current Regional Director to accurately forecast projected revenue from partnerships and manage the contracting process with schools and districts
● Ensure up-to-date records and data in all EL Education systems including Salesforce and data management platforms and actively utilize evidence from these systems to manage toward goals
● Leverage and integrate various capacities of the national organization (e.g. program, research, marketing, finance, development) to support school and district partners and EL Education staff
● Deliver direct service to selected partners when appropriate and necessary
● Other responsibilities as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
● Zeal for and knowledge of EL Education's mission and vision of student achievement
● An eye for quality in implementation of whole school transformation models
● 5+ years of experience in K-12 education leading instructional initiatives
● Experience working toward implementation of EL Education’s network school model and/or curriculum implementation or strong ability to learn in detail through experience about both network school implementation and curriculum implementation in schools
● Demonstrated effectiveness in leading, managing, and building capacity of high-performing teams
● Demonstrated experience leading school transformation
● Demonstrated success with developing and executing impactful partnerships with schools and districts
● Demonstrated experience supporting curriculum adoption and implementation at a school, district or charter network level
● High levels of emotional intelligence including ability to lead through influence and fostering engagement around a collective vision
● Demonstrated experience in designing and delivering professional development for teachers and leaders
● Demonstrated experience managing change and creating an evidence-based culture of continuous learning
● Master’s degree in education, educational leadership or related field strongly preferred
● Willingness to travel frequently and on some weekends due to planned partner or internal events, as needed
● Ability to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds, particularly in larger urban settings
● A drive to think strategically to solve challenging educational issues
● A commitment to equity through promoting diversity and inclusive practices
● Entrepreneurial approach to support meaningful change
● Exceptional abilities to build relationships, engage social networks, forge alliances and garner trust
● Exceptional organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
● Eagerness to seek out and learn from feedback; devotion to continuous self-improvement
● A growth mindset for the students, teachers and classrooms they serve – and most of all for him or herself
We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls or emails please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates. Thank you.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Minimum Education Required