Details: Salary is commensurate with experience
Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) is a national environmental watchdog organization. Guided by public employees in environmental agencies, we use a wide array of legal, media and other tools to expose and remedy the environmental and public health issues they bring to us. We also provide legal counsel and defense so that these employees do not jeopardize their own careers while working to defend the public welfare, protect the environment, and promote scientific integrity within their agencies. In working with public employees -- one of the largest, most expertise-rich and most overlooked constituencies in the environmental field -- we fill a niche that no other environmental or advocacy group fills.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the strategic direction, development, and programs of the organization. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for overseeing a core staff in our headquarters outside Washington, DC, as well as several field-based directors of regional programs.
- Leading the organization and working with the board and staff to fulfill the organization’s mission;
- Organizational management, including board collaboration and coordination, strategic planning and fiscal management;
- Program development and supervision;
- Staff management, including developing position descriptions, hiring, and collaborating with staff;
- Overseeing marketing and other communications efforts;
- Overseeing fundraising, including from foundations, major donors, and individual members, with special attention to expansion of major donor resources;
- A bachelor’s degree, law and/or graduate degree preferred.
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Ability to develop a vision of PEER’s strategic future, and convey this vision to staff, board, and donors.
- Familiarity, and preferably experience, with public environmental agencies and federal and state environmental law as well as the regulations, laws and issues that face public employees.
- Understanding of how to respond quickly and effectively to client needs through strategic use of law, media, and public outreach.
- Knowledge of effective fundraising strategies and donor relations in the nonprofit sector.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Send cover letter (including salary expectations), resume, and writing sample by 11/16/2018 to: Executive Director Search, PEER, 962 Wayne Avenue, Suite 610, Silver Spring, MD 20910 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director Search.” No calls, please.
PEER is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and strongly encourage women and minority candidates to apply.